You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  6/10/2013 10:08 AM #38048
CTD Blogger

Last Post: 8/1/2014
Subject: What’s With the Debate?
From USCCA, Written by Kevin Michalowski-  Have you ever met one of those guys who just KNOWS that he’s right about your pistol, your caliber and your method of carry? You know the guy I’m talking about. No matter what you say, do, or carry, “you’re wrong and it will cost you your life.” I used to run into that a lot with folks who would look at my Kel-tec P-11 and snort something about the price tag of said pistol with a comment like, “What is your life worth?” My response bordered on the impolite as I always replied with the same sentence. “My life is worth every penny I can afford to spend to protect it. This gun fits my budget and my needs.”

I don’t need a customized top-end pistol. I need a pistol that goes “bang” every time I pull the trigger because, for a self-defense weapon, reliability is mandatory; accuracy is optional. So, I carried that Kel-tec everyday for years. Trained with it. Got to know it inside and out. Just this year, I switched to a Glock Model 19 for my everyday carry gun and as soon as I can go through the department qualifications, that Kel-tec will be strapped to my body armor as a back-up gun when I am on duty.  If you must know, the reason I switched is simple — I had an extra $500 when I saw the Glock, so I bought it. That type of shopping likely accounts for why I own more than 35 knives. I buy on impulse sometimes just because I can — I’m a single man and don’t have to explain my gun purchases to anyone.

One group of people reading this is saying, “All right! He got the Glock.” Another group is saying, “I can’t believe he bought a Glock.” Some of you are saying, “Why would you want a 9mm?” My philosophy is simple: What I carry is my business.

And that is how I feel about what you carry, too. It’s your business. All I really ask is that you carry something everyday. Remember Rule No. 1 — have a gun.

Now, in my professional capacity, it’s my business to help you make the most of whichever gun you decide to carry, in whichever caliber you choose to shoot, and whichever holster you decide to carry it in. That’s one of the reasons I really love my job. You see, in order to provide you accurate information about YOUR carry rig, I get to learn about as many carry rigs as I can. I almost said I get to learn about ALL carry rigs, but that would be false. I will never be able to cover them all. What I can say is this: Regardless of what you carry and where you carry it, the two single most important elements are your training and preparation.

Whether you carry a Kel-tec or a Kimber, a Charter Arms or a classic Colt, the most important thing you can do is train to use that gun as effectively as you can. We can’t all be Navy SEALs. There is no such person as James Bond or Jason Bourne. But you can rise to your potential and be prepared everyday.

You are right. A .32 ACP will not knock a vicious attacker backward. But it will put some holes in him and he won’t know it is a .32 when the shooting starts. He will just know the odds are no longer completely in his favor. That might be enough to insure you can escape. If escape isn’t an option, at least your gun — any gun — gives you a chance. And if you learn to do things right, those holes you are putting in your adversary will help you when no one else can.

So instead of fighting about which gun is better, simply resolve to carry a gun everyday.

Stay safe,
Train hard.

Kevin Michalowski

Posted:  6/10/2013 12:43 PM #38050
horselips

Last Post: 8/1/2014
QUOTE > " Whether you carry a Kel-tec or a Kimber, a Charter Arms or a classic Colt, the most important thing you can do is train to use that gun as effectively as you can." Nope. That's maybe Rule No. 2 or No. 3. RULE No. 1 - The Most Important Thing - is HAVE A GUN. Having a gun I'm not an expert with is better than having no gun at all. I can only imagine the fear, frustration and anger of some poor person being victimized who, for whatever reason, left his carry gun at home that day. So, my dear Mr. Michalowski, allow me to play "Mr. Know-it-all" just this once when I say if your EDC carry gun(s) are EVER left at home for ANY reason, you bought the wrong gun.

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums