You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  6/24/2010 5:39 PM #23244
Freebooter

Last Post: 7/25/2010
Subject: 7.7 Jap ammo question:
Hello all,
I had posted this query over on the long gun forums and then realized I should have posted it here. But where can you find decent and decently priced FMJ ammo for a Japanese 7.7?  Hornaday and Norma both put out fine hunting ammo for this weapon. I don't know if they put out any FMJ or not. But as far as FMJ goes, I have only seen one maker out there offering FMJ in 7.7 Jap out there.  I bought some boxes of it. I forget the maker, but it is in boxes with no plastic shell holder, just 20 rnds thrown loosely into the box and stuffed with a bit of newspaper to hold it tight I reckon. And the bullet or projectile is silver tipped or something like that. I was told it was "pulled" 7.62 Russian and the bullet and powder put into a 7.7 shell. Graf and sons are on the back of the 7.7 shell casing but not on the box. Anyone know anything about this ammo?  

If that is the case, that is well and good for "playing", plinking, etc.. But not for accurate shooting.  The 7.62 bullet, which is a .30 calibre, is a mite smaller than the 7.7 Jap (.31 calibre) and would not be all that accurate seems like. I have often wondered why, with millions of rounds produced in WWII you can find plenty of WWII ammo out there, 7.92 (8mm)German, 7.62x54 Russian, .303 British, Carcano, Swedish, etc., etc., but not 7.7 Jap. Why in the heck not 7.7? Is it because the other calibres mentioned were manufactured long after WWII into the '70s and '80s and the 7.7 Jap was not? Just curious.
Thanks,
Freebooter 

Posted:  6/28/2010 8:34 AM #23262
gundog94

Last Post: 4/14/2014
7.7 and 6.5 Japanese ammo has been hard to obtain for years now. If you do run across genuine military surplus, it is usually priced as "collector's" ammo. I'm not positive why it can't be found readily anymore. I imagine that much of it was destroyed by the allies after the fall of Japan in WWII. It's unfortunate, the Arisaka has been called the "strongest military bolt action rifle ever built". In tests conducted after the end of WW II by U.S. Military ordinance experts, the Arisaka was found to be the strongest service rifle action of the war. This is good news for handloaders though. The cartridge can be loaded on the hotter end of the spectrum with little concern of the action handling it. Beware of "Last Ditch" rifles though. These are late war production rifles that were hastily manufactured and often made with inferior metals. I personally would not shoot one of those.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

CTD Moderator

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums