You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  12/2/2012 5:10 PM #35408
rusty shackleford

Last Post: 12/31/2013
Subject: Bug out bags
Well, ive finally decided to ditch this gigantic pack that I have as my current b.o.b. Its too heavy, doesnt hold enough, and is very unconfortable to wear. it does have an external metal frame which on its own weighs too much, and considering the holidays are around the corner I was thinking perhaps all you wonderfully knowledgable people could suggest a good place to get a relatively cheap 5 day assault pack. Please keep in mind that I plan on using this b.o.b not for escaping a natural disaster or running away from anarchy and rioting, but for long term. I want to be able to hold enough gear in it to keep myself alive, start a fire, perhaps a small 1 person tent and sleeping bag, fire starting implements, water storage, and a buttload of ammo for my pistol (xdm .40 fullsize), my sks, and my mosin. I am also ordering a tactical vest from ctd so I would prefer to be able to wear that AND the backpack at the same time. I have looked at the backpacks on ctd and I believe them all to be too small(probably just paranoid about buying something I cant see and inspect). I do want a military style pack, not a camping backpack, meaning tough material, good stitching etc... preferably in OD green or a woodland camo.
ssssha shaw pocket sand!

Posted:  12/2/2012 10:12 PM #35413
horselips

Last Post: 4/22/2014
There is bugging out because a natural disaster is on its way, or a power/plumbing outage leaves you temporarily without essential services, and all you intend to do is travel to a safer place and spend a few days in a 3 star resort. That's fine. 'Bon voyage' and when you get there, 'bon appetit.'

But a SHTF scene is altogether different. Bugging out would only be indicated in the worst possible situation, in other words staying put means certain death. Get a gas-station or phone book map of your city or town. Locate your house as close as you can. Now, take a compass, and draw a circle with a radius of 5 miles around your home. If the situation is desperate at your house or in your neighborhood, it is sure to be just as desperate everywhere within that circle. If you think you're better off out there, trying to cross 5 miles of no-man's land and God knows how much farther after that, with only what you can tote on your sore and aching back, in the dead cold of winter or the scorching heat of summer, instead of holding out in your forted-up and fully outfitted Fortress Tract House Development, garrisoned by neighbors, friends and family and surrounded by every resource you have wisely acquired during your prepping, you're dreaming.

Every moving car will be attacked because everybody knows the only people driving out are preppers and their cars will be full of neat stuff. Everybody with a back pack might as well have a target on their chest, and you won't even hear it coming until after you've been hit. Do you think mobs of desperate people are made up of living-dead zombies? I can assure you there will be lots of combat vets who know their stuff just waiting for a loaded pack mule like you to come along. Bottom Line - if it's so bad you feel you have to bug out, that's the time to bug in, because you'll never make it out of that circle on the map alive.  

Instead of wasting time and money on a B.O.B., spend that time recruiting and organizing the people you'll want with you when the crisis comes, and that money on the food and water and supplies you'll need to reinforce your house and sustain them for the expected duration of the crisis. If your group can hold out for a few months, even if it's TEOTWAWKI, the threat of hungry, angry, desperate and dangerous people will have taken care of itself, and you can take it from there. 

Posted:  12/11/2012 1:35 PM #35523
rusty shackleford

1. I live in a rural(ish) area about 30 miles from any major cities.
2. I would rather take a chance on making it that 5 miles through the woods, as you said a car just makes you a target.
3. I would rather take a chance walking or driving those 5 miles, than sitting in my house waiting to starve.

As I said in my first post, I did not want a lecture on bug in v bug out, I wanted suggestions for a good bag to do so with, if and when that becomes necessary.
ssssha shaw pocket sand!

Posted:  12/11/2012 4:08 PM #35526
Texan Raven

Last Post: 1/9/2013
Well, I live here in Austin and we have a rather neat place called Banana Bay Trading Company which carries military surplus and knock-offs of military surplus. I am 99% sure they have a website. They sell different sized  packs by different manufacturers. I picked up two back packs, one for me, one for the wife, rather large ones, internal frame, OD Green (I wanted Desert Tan but they were out), with MOLLE attachments galore. About $90 each, if I remember right. They are comfortable and well-stitched. I think UTG made them. I also picked up a kewl "Defense Forces of Israel: tee shirt, OD green with yellow lettering, Hebrew insignia. I liked it, right up to when I saw the "Made In Mexico" tag.

Hope that answered the question that someone else completely ignored during his lecture.

Posted:  12/11/2012 4:12 PM #35527
Drifter-2A

Last Post: 3/13/2013
I recomend the "ultimate modgear pack" on this site. I picked up the same pack from U.S. Cav for very similar purposes. I need to be able to make a 5 day journey through the montana rockys to reach civilization and this pack made that trip. It has plenty of space, i can fit a one man tent compact sleeping bag and a gallon of water in the main pocket with some space to spare. I am able to pack PLENTY of food ammo and survival equimpment in the various accessary pockets. That pack has lots of space and will take as much supplies as you can carry as long as you can organize it well. The padding on the back and shoulder straps is awesome and is also a belly strap and chest strap. There is a lot of D rings and Molle webbing for additional gear, I strapped my ax and other random stuff on there with 550 no problem. Just make sure youre in shape because that 5 days worth about killed me moving through the mountains man. I suggest you carry as little as possible, especially the water, damn the water get a filter!

Posted:  12/11/2012 4:22 PM #35528
rusty shackleford

I feel ya on that. Im ditching my current pack because on its own its too heavy because of its steel frame. None of the military surplus stores around here ever seem to carry packs for some reason, surprising. Specificaly which modgear pack did you get(was it the 5 day assault pack? or the combat pack? I thought the "assault pack" just look like a normal back pack)? I think there are a few of them, does it have a frame? and could It hold my camel pack? I wish someone out there would start a bug out bag company, made for us civvies, I have no idea how molle works lol. All I want is a pack that can hold ammo, a tent, a sleeping bag, maybe a little food (I'd prefer to have the implements to hunt and trap so I can get my own food, probably more than I can carry), fire starting implements etc. Now if only there was a way that I could wear that backpack, and be able to easly carry my 12 guage, sks (or mosin depending on a number of things), with my pistol at my side. and yes, I am aware thats unrealistic at best.
ssssha shaw pocket sand!

Posted:  12/11/2012 4:29 PM #35529
Drifter-2A

Last Post: 3/13/2013
The molle gear can accomodate your weapons if you can rig a good sling for them. It is a frameless Pack but shes sollid, caught it on fire once and it didnt even get charred (dont ask). I think it was the MOLLE-125, it might be labeled as the modgear three day assault pack but in the catalog it is MOLLE-125.

Posted:  12/11/2012 6:56 PM #35533
Warblade

Last Post: 12/18/2012
I bought the MOLLE-722 (same as the 124/125/126 just in ACU) about 4 years ago, used it through 2 trips to the sandbox. I never ran out of room in the darn thing. It did rip along the seam on the top and the belly strap buckle did break but that was after it was run over by a 62,000 MRAP! Now that I am retired it is my "luggage" and my MOLLE-126 is my B.O.B. I can fit everything in there that I think I might need and it still has room!@import url(http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Forums/CuteSoft_Client/CuteEditor/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);

Posted:  1/15/2014 1:23 PM #40412
SgtD

Last Post: 1/15/2014
Check out the thrift stores around the military bases if you live around 1. I found 2 quality almost new b.o.b.'s and spent less than $60 for both of them. both are military issue type 3 day packs that can hold camelbaks and still light enough for the wife to carry.

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums