You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  6/14/2013 9:28 AM #38112
CTD Blogger

Last Post: 8/20/2014
Subject: Gun Review: Walther PPX
From TheTruthAboutGuns.com by Joe Grine- The Walther PPX for this review was provided by The Kentucky Gun Company. Walther is a company on the rise. As you can probably tell by all of the press attention, the venerable old German arms maker has really hit one out of the park with their PPQ M2. My initial impression of the PPQ M2 is that it may just be the best GLOCK clone made to date. Nonetheless, while the PPQ M2 may be all the rage, another new less expensive “entry level” Walther handgun recently hit the market: the PPX. To be honest, when I first unboxed the PPX, I thought it was a frickin’ Hi-Point. Which is to say that it’s rather, um, portly and homely in the looks department. And apparently I’m not alone in this observation. But after spending a couple of months testing the PPX, I’ve really warmed up to this plump princess . . .

One thing is for sure: this ain’t your pa-paw’s war baby P-38. Unlike the svelte lines of the all-steel P-38, the PPX is a stout, full-sized, polymer pistol with a weird bent handgrip that vaguely reminded me of the Colt All-American 2000. The polymer PPX, though, is much lighter than the P-38, appearances notwithstanding. Like a P-38, the PPX is made in the vaterland: Walther’s factory is located a few miles outside of Ulm, a medium-sized city in Baden-Württemberg, Germany.

PPX 3

The PPX features no manually-operated safeties, and doesn’t have a decocker. The slide has an extremely high bore axis, which reminds me of shooting a SIG Sauer P-226 or an HK USP. As mentioned above, it also has a very pronounced hump on the back of the handgrip which will undoubtedly generate both praise and criticism. In my case it’s praise. This pistol is so darn comfortable to hold, I’m totally willing to overlook the fact that it is aesthetically off-putting. The PPX doesn’t feature interchangeable back straps like the PPQ, so it’s a one-size-fits-most affair. I guess that’s a feature you give up in order to get to the $400 price point. Fair enough.

Read the rest of the review here.

Posted:  6/15/2013 2:08 PM #38125
horselips

Last Post: 8/19/2014
It's as ugly as a mud fence. As 5 miles of bad road. As Nancy Pelosi crossed with a Klingon. (Shudder). GEEEZUS, the Walther P38 / P1 and PP pistols were aesthetic masterpieces - equalled perhaps only by the Luger and the 1911 for sheer beauty of line and form. The more I see of Frankenstein polymer handguns, the more firmly I adhere to my 1911, Luger and P1. Funny thing is, my old warhorses are the equal of any new production model for reliability, strength and durability, and they surpass most for accuracy (especially the Luger - as any Luger owner will attest). One more thing, and it's critical to me, is they exhibit a level of craftsmanship that cannot be equaled today except by expensive custom gunmakers. To build a Luger required 350 hand-fitting operations. A true mechanical marvel, and still worth every penny they now command. Classic handguns also possess a mystique, a lore, a historical aspect no contemporary off-the-shelf model can have. The only advantage the plastic-fantastic guns have is magazine capacity, an aspect of utterly no interest to me. As far as I'm concerned a capacity of 8 or 9 rounds is plenty.

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums