You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  10/8/2012 10:27 PM #34512
rusty shackleford

Last Post: 12/31/2013
Subject: well, TSHfinallyHTF, so what now?
Alot of people view the idea of the B.O.B. as a quick get away in a natural or societal disaster, or as a "get me home" bag. But I'd like to ask the question "what if home isnt there anymore, and what if society is pretty much done for". Lets start out with the scenario of you being either at work, or the grocery store, TSHTF (lets assume financial collapse, complete and total breakdown of all laws and civilization, rioting nationwide, etc.) you have one SHTF B.O.B in your vehicle, and whatever else you normally carry in your vehicle, whats in it? and where are you gonna go?
ssssha shaw pocket sand!

Posted:  10/9/2012 12:42 AM #34513
horselips

Last Post: 4/17/2014
Well, if it all comes unglued while I'm at work, something pretty sudden and quick had to befall us. Something like the Cretaceous Meteor, or Santorini or Krakatoa, or Godzilla strolls out of the sea and hoofs it all the way to Tucson. Nobody will have any real information to go on for quite awhile, it would be normal for everybody to just try to get home and wait until the authorities either do something or don't. If home is all gone, I'm staying at work. At least for the time being I'm indoors, in a building probably not too hard to secure. And I'll be with friends and co-workers united by our common interest and circumstance. I don't have a bug-out-bag and don't really want one. If it's as bad as all that, there's nowhere to go anyway. I keep a rifle in my trunk and a handgun in my glovebox -I'd be sure to make a run for those, and anyone else would retrieve anything of value or use in their vehicles. The employee refrigerators, water cooler and vending machines would be secured and guarded in the event we had to ration what was there. If cell phones are working, I would try to contact family and friends and get information, naturally radio and TV would be on in case anybody is still broadcasting. If my people are reached and they're not safe, I would invite them to bug out to my building bringing everything they can - if they're safe and sound, I'm outta there and on my way to join them.

Believe it or not, panic comes later. Nobody will completely freak out until they know for sure the government, the police, the army, FEMA, the Red Cross and the Salvation Army aren't coming. Only when the population loses confidence in organized food and water distribution, and suffers the disappearance of utilities, fuel and medical services will things start to get a little rough.

Finally, don't try anything where you'll end up alone. There is more safety than risk staying among friends, family, co-workers, or all three. Anything that happens to you could incapacitate you, and if you're alone, you're toast.

Posted:  10/9/2012 8:15 AM #34518
rusty shackleford

I was thinking more along the lines of starting at complete chaos and the beginning of panic, Personally I was more interested in seeing what you guys would have in a bag for which the ultimate goal is to reach a remote location and begin long term wilderness survival, as in theres no going back to civilization.
ssssha shaw pocket sand!

Posted:  10/9/2012 9:08 AM #34521
hot_lips_banana

Last Post: 4/16/2014

If the crap came unglued while I was at work- I'm not gonna complain! I'd just stay here... obviously. In fact, if crap hit the fan on the weekend, I'd probably try to come to the office. Seeing as I am just a few steps away from a warehouse full of guns, ammo, and survival gear. Lucky me!!

CTD Forum Moderator

Posted:  10/9/2012 1:54 PM #34528
horselips

Rusty! Centerfire Systems sells 2 already assembled, fully equipped, ready-to-go Bug-Out-Bags. One has 'stuff' and no food for about $169, and the other has 'stuff' and 3 days of rations for $189. For Do-It-Yourselfers, Cheaper Than Dirt sells all kinds of specialized food packs, kits and supplies for advanced prepping. Just add guns, ammo, an inflatable companion and you're outta there.

The idea of starting at complete chaos in the cities and then making believe that the wilderness will be any better is wishful thinking. Don't count on a societal collapse being automatically limited to the areas you want to get away from, where the unwashed and un-prepped will self-destruct, and that if you high-tail it into the open arms of Mother Nature, you can do your Grizzly Adams - Walden Pond - McGyver impersonation and live happily ever after communing with deer and butterflies and making neat stuff out of seemingly useless raw materials. Of course, anything you really need right now will be right there in that B.O.B. you so cleverly packed. In your dreams.

The Endless Camp-out is an unrealistic response to a SHTF scenario. "Me Tarzan, You Jane," complete with a pet chimp and a Flinststones romance that results in Boy might work on the silver screen, but it's no solution to a real catastrophe. 

Posted:  10/9/2012 9:22 PM #34536
Texan Raven

Last Post: 1/9/2013
So I guess since we have no chance of surviving a SHTF situation, we should all just pack it in and drink the Kool-Aid.

Posted:  10/9/2012 10:56 PM #34538
horselips

Would you like that on the rocks? You're half right. We do have a good chance of surviving a SHTF situation. Like you said, "We should all just pack it in" - and let me add - stay in. Instead of organizing and stuffing your pillow cases for "The Great Escape" to nowhere, you're better off organizing your local family (if any), friends and naybers into specialized survival cells  -each one responsible for bringing this or that critical need, and making plans to all meet with their respective goodies at the easiest house or neighborhood to secure and hold. FROM EACH according to their ability (what they can afford, what they can be expected to carry), FOR ALL according to the common need. Obviously the people traveling will be carrying lighter stuff, the hosting property will be responsible for the weighty stuff.  

I'm not trying to be pessimistic about B.O.B.s  - seriously I believe in them wholeheartedly for minor situations causing a temporary interruption of regular life, but I just have a hard time believing you can carry what you'll need into a world of the unexpected, the unknown, and the unpredictable. Our earliest ancestors responded to the danger and uncertainty of their nomadic existence by inventing civilization. People sharing a common ethnicity, culture, language, whatever, banded together for their common good. They Bugged-In. They built towns, cities and forts, and worked together dividing the labor and sharing in the resulting bounty and safety. In a SHTF situation, shouldn't we re-invent civilization by connecting with like minded people the same way, for the same reasons, with the sure and certain hope of a similar positive outcome? Perhaps I am overly optimistic about my position? 

Needless to say, I could be completely wrong about this - misguided, misinformed and mistaken in general. That's what I love about this board and this subject - we can all learn from each other in this wonderful "marketplace of ideas." Thanks CTD.

Posted:  10/12/2012 10:14 AM #34580
rusty shackleford

Im glad to see spirited debate on this subject. I wasnt thinking of the endless campout, more of getting away from any major city to a small town with mostly brick buildings, anything fortifiable, finding like minded survivalists, building a pallisades wall, and weathering the storm. Like in the walking dead I dont see why Rick didnt lead everyone back to the police station, that building seemed securable, had a fence, guns, sleeping quarters, and Im assuming a small stockpile of food. My other reason for arguing that it would be better to high tail it to the mountains is that the terrian might offer an advantage over zombies or mad max style crazies. I suppose one could hunker in place and wait a few weeks before relocating, wait for the masses to disperse and things to settle a bit.
ssssha shaw pocket sand!

Posted:  10/12/2012 10:47 AM #34581
ancona77

Last Post: 9/18/2013
In the first season of the walking dead, how did zombies disable a m1 abrams? Rick should of started it and had a blast just running them over. Provided it still had gas which may of been its downfall, but he would of been safe inside and after awhile of being quiet something else would of caught their intrest and left.
HAPPINESS IS A WELL FED BELT FED!

Posted:  10/20/2012 2:33 PM #34714
DocOutlands

Last Post: 10/20/2012
Well, sir,this is a fun question that should keep us all thinking on a daily basis.  (You *might* remember me from TB2K ages ago, btw...)

I am revamping my "truck-kit" so what is in it right now is not what *should* be in it.  But at the moment, it looks like this:
- A well-maintained vehicle. 
- enough gas to get home:  I live in the middle of a national forest, having already bugged out of the larger centers of "civilization."  I work in one of those centers, 65 miles from home.  I live there 4 days a week (sometimes more), but fortunately my workplace is on the edge of town with a direct shot at the house thru backroads.  Unfortunately, my part-time home is on the far side of town, and I have supplies there that I would *prefer* to go gather before heading out.  Plus, it is the primary meeting point for me & my son, who will be on foot or bicycle.
- mechanic's toolset:  A very basic set of tools, covering simple mechanical tasks (socket set, combo-wrench set, screwdrivers, pliers, crescent wrenches, JB Weld, and the like - no electrical tools at the moment).
- floor jack & lug-wrench
- jumper cables 
- minor spares:  Extra fan-belt, replacement bulbs, spare fuses, fluids, and other such minor bits.
-  entrenching tool: VietNam era with wooden handle and spike.  Prized possesion!
- DeLorme's Gazetter:  While I know a good many routes, knowing more is always better.
- spare mags for my 1911
- spare rechargeable batteries for my flashlights
- 12vdc recharger for said batteries
- 2 flashlights
- camo smock and hat
- 2 first aid kits
- hunting knife
- duct tape
- trash bags
- N95 dust mask
- poncho liner
- goretex rain-jacket
- MURS radio handset 

Due to workplace restrictions, I do not currently carry a firearm at work.  I am looking at alternatives.
Currently, there is no food/water in the truck.  Given the parameters of this exercise - being at work - I will load my 5-gal water cooler into the bed of my truck after putting ice into it (both are in my office).  The "snack-food drawer" in my office goes into a shopping bag kept there for that reason and into the truck.  The FroggToggs rain suit goes into the truck.  The small tool-kit in the office (Fiskars tin-shears multi-tool, multi-bit screwdriver set, crescent wrench) goes into truck.  Office first-aid kit stays put - they may need it there and the ones in my truck are as good or better.  What few personal incidentals I keep at work would be the last to go - and the first to be left is the situation requires faster response.

My son & I are developing SOP/SRPs right now (std operating procedures / std response plans), depending on circumstances and events.  There is a significant river he will have to cross (capable of barge traffic), so planning for that is vital.  In town, there are three vehicle/pedestrian bridges (two city street/drawbridges & one interstate) and one railroad drawbridge.  There are no other bridges for 30+ miles in either direction.  We are evaluating routes and rally points.

I do have a backpack BOB that I have pulled from the truck for revamping.  Once I have it overhauled to my liking, it will go back into the truck.  Its design will be to go fast & light, carrying tools to keep me moving toward a given goal.

@import url(http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Forums/CuteSoft_Client/CuteEditor/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);

Posted:  10/27/2012 5:48 PM #34827
oldiron_79

Last Post: 5/29/2013
Well My supplies I always keep in the truck in case I had a breakdown in the woods while hunting or hiking  would basically be a B.O.B. minus the weapons and ammo  (couple of days food and water, some spare clothes, a tent, a rod and reel, etc.)

I have a "truck console pistol" that is always in the truck plus I usually have a small concealed  pistol on my person, so if TSHTF where I couldn't make it to house/house wasn't there anymore I guess I would have those 2 weapons at least.

If going home was not an option I have friends or relatives in about every direction from town far enough out that they would likely not be hit by the same event that I could show up on their door step . 
"A nation willing to sacrifice liberty for some temporary safety deserves neither safety nor liberty, and shall receive neither" Benjamin Franklin

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums