You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  9/1/2007 12:06 AM #2743
Uberjager

Last Post: 9/30/2007
Subject: Norinco 1911A1 great buy or a waste of money?
Well I saw a video on youtube and it looked pretty cool so I checked prices on gunbroker and they ran from $300-$400. Is it a good deal?

Posted:  9/8/2007 12:21 PM #2748
Mad Max

Last Post: 12/20/2006
no, the norinco 1911a1 is a cheaply made piece of **** thats not real accurate,the metal is of poor quality, and it is uncomfortable to shoot, if i were you id buy a Rock Island Armory 1911A1, i got mine for $319 NIB, its a great gun at a great price.hope this helps in your decision.

- Max
They'll have to pry my gun from my Cold, Dead hands;
Guns dont kill people, PEOPLE kill people

Posted:  9/10/2007 10:14 AM #2762
Jeffrey

Last Post: 12/18/2009
Mad Max is right, the Norinco 1911 is junk. I got one when they first came around for $225. like some 1911's it needed a trigger job right out of the box. Got the trigger polished, took it to the range, pulled the trigger once, and three bullets shot out!!! Slam fire-not good. unloaded it, took it to the gunsmith and asked WTF. Turned out that there was a jag on the firing pin. He replaced it for free-nice guy. He told me for around $200 he could fix it up to make it "almost as good as a cheap colt clone". I sold it the following week for $150. The absolute worst gun I've ever owned.
When was the last time you went to the range?

Posted:  9/14/2007 6:19 PM #2770
mtnboomer

Last Post: 8/18/2014
A Rock Island, Shooter's Arms Manufacturing or Armscor would be a MUCH better choice for about the same money!
"I'd love to spit some Beech-Nut in that dude's eyes and shoot 'em with my ol' .45, cuz a country boy can survive!" Hank Williams, Jr.

Support the Second Amendment - Join the NRA http://www.nra.org

Oklahoma State #1 - GO POKES!

Posted:  9/20/2007 7:12 PM #2771
Uberjager

Last Post: 9/30/2007
I was pondering between the norinco and a SA Mil-spec. I looked at some Rock Islands and didn't see any models with 3 dot sights.

Posted:  6/24/2008 7:23 PM #2667
General Protection Fault

Last Post: 4/10/2009
It's totally irrational of me, but it seems to me like the only "proper" 1911 would be one made in the U.S. (Buying a Chinese 1911 seems a little bit like buying an AK-47 made somewhere other than Eastern Europe: for some reason, it just seems wrong....)

It's also irrational of me, but I cringe whenever I see any Norinco gun. I'm sure they're perfectly good guns, and I'd rather own a Norinco than no gun at all, but I see Norinco and think "no way... I'll pass!"

In any event, if you chose to try the Norinco 1911, let us know what you think of it.

Posted:  6/25/2008 2:07 AM #2666
ole dirty

Last Post: 3/28/2009
Subject: .
i shot two norinco .45 years ago when they first came out. i hate to say it but i was impressed with them for what they are. they shot well to point of aim and no jams with my reloads. they could use some smithing buy they were reliable and accurate. both guys that had them still have them today too.
thuggin and buggin, dat's how ole dirty roll!

Posted:  6/25/2008 1:39 PM #2668
Blake

Last Post: 3/28/2009
From what you guys say I guess the Norinco 1911 is like a used car, some are good some are lemons and you just have to "test drive" it to find out which one it is.
A firearm is only as dangerous as the user wants it to be.

Posted:  8/11/2008 3:52 PM #2679
TQUANDONG

Last Post: 8/11/2008
Subject: Norinco 1911A1 great buy or a waste of money?
I couldn't disagree more with some of the previous posts. I've owned the nickel 1911A1 from Norinco since about 1991. Over the years the Wife has augmentented it's bells and whistles in the form of Christmas gifts and birthday gifts, ordering things which she had no idea what they were, that I had circled in the blue press, CTD and other magazines, to include....... Titanium fireing pin and heavy wolfe spring, wilson combat extended slide release, checkered flat main spring housing with beveled mag guide, matched sear and skeletinized hammer, beavertail grip safety, adjustable for over travel match trigger, full length rod guide with heavy wolfe spring, tritium night sights and a hogue front wrap finger groove grip.

With more than 10,000 rounds down range, the only broken part was the Wilson Combat extended slide release! The original parts got plenty of use before being replaced, as this has been a carry gun from day one, so parts were replaced for preference, not un-serviceability of the originals. I installed all of the parts myself, and would call them drop-in with minor fitting as is to be expected when going to match grade parts. I'm not a gunsmith, but I confess, I wided and polished the throat and "feed ramp" as well as removed a small ledge at the front of the ejection port to allow reliable ejection of full rounds. I also like the shock buffers on the recoil spring guide rod, feels better to shoot, and might make a gun last longer??
Bottom line the gun has ALWAYS been dead-bang reliable. For an initial $275 NIB investment and a couple hundred dollars of adds, I trust it with my life. I'm not thrilled that it was made by some commy-bastard, but it's mine now, and all I could afford at the time. I prefer it over my Kimber Desert Warrior for carry and shooting! It's the one of my seven 1911's that makes the trip most often to the range and every where else.
I HAD a SAM 1911 from Sarco. Speaking of POS! The slide stop peened the hell out of the slide stop notch after about 20 rounds! Soft! I also had the smallest version of their 1911, lots of parts and work just to make function. Sold them both.
A bad or heavy trigger on a G.I. modeled gun???? Duh! Same bad mouthing happened to the Chi-Com M14. Funny thing, I shot matches with just such a gun with an Obermeier match barrel. Again one failure, broken hammer claw.... common also on GI guns, after about 7,500 rounds. And I replaced the bolt hold open/release and pin. Now that I've obtained the Springfield SuperMatch, the Norinco M14S got it's original chrome lined barrel back, chopped to 16", as the Obermeier was shot out, and it, like my Norinco 1911 sees more range time than any of anoter 8 or 9 battle rifles in the safe!
I just came accross a parkerized Norinco 1911 on auction arms and am still tickle pink to have paid $325 plus shipping plus FFL fee at the local shop. I reparked the frame and slide, and it looks brand new and especially handsome with the blonde checkered grips with gold norinco Medalion from my original nickel 1911!
If I could buy Norinco 1911s from Canada, for the $250 they go for up there, I would own stack of them! They a perfect base gun to dress up, race up, or shoot up just as they come out of the box.
Auto Ordnance is making a nice GI copy, for about $600. OUCH!

Good shooting,
JTP

Posted:  2/8/2011 2:57 PM #25837
gunworksblog

Last Post: 2/18/2011
The one I shot was prone to jamming and was uncomfortable to shoot- I'd recommend looking at the ParaUSA GI Expert for one in the $400-$500 range.

Posted:  8/31/2011 9:46 PM #27791
skewed

Last Post: 7/11/2012
if you can find one for under  $350, it is a steal, really. They are such fine base guns that smith Richard Heinie used, to, dunno if he still does, based many of his "builds' on them. I'd be more inclined to pay $450 for something that had the big sights, speed safety, ducktail grip safety, etc, already done on it, tho. Some of the Isreali, and I've heard, at least, the Turkish 1911's are so set up and the metal of the Isreali one is of good hardness. Dunno about the Turk.

Posted:  1/22/2012 11:44 AM #30017
White7

Last Post: 1/22/2012
Some of these posts crack me up "Metal is poor quality" Really? Norcs are made of forged steel ,, where your Rock Island Is investment cast ,Norincos have all forged and milled steel internal where your you Rock Island is all MIM(metal injection molded) parts

Uncomfortable to shoot? really? its a GI mil-spec ,that means any 1911 mil-spec would be uncomfortable to shoot for you,,maybe stick to plastic guns

Some early Pre ban norcs(which are the ones you want not the IAC Regent Model) had some barrel lock up issues so before buying a used one always check the barrel lugs and the hood(Of course that goes with any used 1911),if its good you have a winner and an awsome platform for a nice build

Posted:  9/27/2012 5:05 PM #34300
spidey-niner

Last Post: 9/27/2012
Subject: Norinco 1911A1 great buy
I have to agree with White7 - The Chinese Norinco 1911A1 is a very nice firearm, made from recycled railroad rail steel.   It is some of the toughest steel I've ever run across.  Out of the box, It was a very pleasant experience, with good accuracy and feel.   

I added a lot of Wilson Combat and other other parts, and doing the machining operations was mind blowing - I have never run across anything harder to machine.  There's something to be said for work hardening by millions of tons of locomotives and boxcars over many years!   I've read where people have run 1,000's of rounds over the last few decades through a stock Chinese Norinco, with no failures or noticeable wear.  That is the reason the relatively few samples in this country have been used as the base for racers by many talented smiths - It's a phenomenal starting platform by anyone's measure.

The later Turkish Norincos are another story, avoid those for sure.  If you are lucky enough to find the original Chinese version, be sure and snap it up - You won't be disappointed!
@import url(http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Forums/CuteSoft_Client/CuteEditor/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);

Posted:  12/3/2012 12:07 PM #35426
Bob La Londe

Last Post: 12/3/2012
I do not have a ton of 1911 experience.  Just the one Norinco 1911A1 (model of - of course).  The gunsmith I bought it from new (17 years ago) suggested I use a buffer pad on the spring, and polish the trigger and hammer.  I did both of those things, and the gun has been rock solidly reliable.  I only shoot 100 rounds a year out of it now just to stay in practice, but I did run a thousand rounds or so through it when I first bought it.  Except for a batch of cheap target reloads from a now out of business shooting gallery it has always gone bang, and cycled properly.  It is not very accurate with the stock barrel and bushing, but neither is the orignal Colt or any of the other basic 1911A1s that have not had any work done.  I do a basic tear down and clean after everytime it goes to the range, and a complete detail tear down once a year.  I have not noticed any issues with any parts.  No abnormal wear.  No mushrooming.  No galling.  Its decent steel and it performs well.  I have considered fitting a tighter barrel and bushing, but I like the fact that it goes bang when I want it to and always cycles properly on every shot.  I don't want to sacrifice any of that for a tighter barrel and bushing.  I wouldn't buy a used one without checking it out first, but that holds true for any firearm. 

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums