You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  4/14/2008 8:40 PM #2397
Rangerair07

Last Post: 6/25/2008
Subject: Wal mart ammo
I have heard mixed reviews about wal mart ammo specifically winchester .45 acp 100 value pack. At a gun store that I go to they have a barrel from a Kimber 1911 that they say has split from this ammo and say that we shouldn't always buy the cheap ammo, so I cant tell if they are telling the truth or if they just want my money. My boss uses this same ammo and says that he hasnt had any problems and I would just like to know if this is something that I should be worried about.
It's better to fight for something than live for nothing. (George Patton)

Posted:  4/14/2008 9:24 PM #2398
bapa

Last Post: 4/29/2009
Wal-mart does not manufacture ammo. They are just a retailer. The same lot number ammo you can buy at wally world could just as easily be at your local gun shop for a few dollars more. Just because you got it at a good price does not automatically make it suspect as to its safety.
NAHC Life Member
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday

Posted:  4/15/2008 7:32 AM #2399
BikerBen4

Last Post: 9/11/2012
bapa-Wal-mart does not manufacture ammo. They are just a retailer. The same lot number ammo you can buy at wally world could just as easily be at your local gun shop for a few dollars more. Just because you got it at a good price does not automatically make it suspect as to its safety.

I couldn't agree more with what Bapa said. ALSO, I have personally shot tons of boxes of the value packs and have had ZERO (0) problems with it. I've shot it with a Kimber, Ruger, and my dad's Colt (that doesn't like about half the ammo I've tried). You can take my word on this one - I have to ask for permission every time I even want to look at that Colt. I've actually be denied permission to use it before. That's how anal he is about that weapon. He actually prefers that I use that exact box of ammo as opposed to anything else.
Moderator of CheaperThanDirt.com/Forums

Posted:  4/15/2008 11:27 AM #2395
STELLA

Last Post: 2/15/2007
sounds like a flaw in the barrel from manufacturer or that one in a few million hot loads.

Posted:  4/15/2008 8:58 PM #2393
BikerBen4

Oh no. No flaws or problems with the weapon itself. It was just my dad's fault for not cleaning it properly. I cleaned it off really well one time, and had no problems at all. Had to teach my dad how to properly clean his own gun. It was an interesting day...

Thanks for the thought though.

Posted:  4/27/2008 1:37 PM #2622
alibatesknapper

Last Post: 4/27/2008
Could'a been caused by reloads too. I won't shoot anybodies reloads except my own.

Posted:  4/27/2008 2:33 PM #2623
BikerBen4

Nope. Again, I thank you for the thought, but the gun itself does not have any problems firing any of the ammo I've ever tried with it.

It's a Model 70 Colt Government model. He has it set so loose that it rattles when you shake it in your hand. He has done this so that it will always fire, even when covered in dirt. He maintains that it works well that way. I don't agree at all, but that's a moot point.

The problem with it is that it's a Government model. This means that it's 100% mil spec (doesn't have a lowered ejection port, the extractor is old and out-dated, the feed ramp isn't in very good condition anymore, etc...). Some people have GREAT success with totally mil spec pistols, but I personally am not a fan because of personal experience.

Like I said before - make sure you clean your weapon, and as long as all of its components are in properly working order, you shouldn't have too many problems.

Side note: No matter how clean the thing is or what ammo I use, it refuses to feed properly when I try to fire it very fast at all. I realize that's not that big of a deal as it's such a waste of ammo, but it's still fun to pop off a bunch of rounds in a short amount of time :)

Posted:  4/27/2008 5:00 PM #2624
alibatesknapper

Last Post: 4/27/2008
Sorry I meant the one in the gun shop with a split barrel.

Posted:  7/18/2008 12:16 PM #2648
KW Gary M

Last Post: 7/18/2008
Subject: Re: Wal mart ammo
Rangerair07-I have heard mixed reviews about wal mart ammo specifically winchester .45 acp 100 value pack. At a gun store that I go to they have a barrel from a Kimber 1911 that they say has split from this ammo and say that we shouldn't always buy the cheap ammo, so I cant tell if they are telling the truth or if they just want my money. My boss uses this same ammo and says that he hasnt had any problems and I would just like to know if this is something that I should be worried about.

The Winchester target and range 100 pack is sold by Walmart not made by them or even made exclusively for them. Winchester is one of the top, if not the top, brand names in Ammunition. I think your dealer is just looking to up-sell you to more expensive ammo. I use the Winchester 100 pack in my 9MM and .40 S&;W when practicing and buy it at Walmart. They are the cheapest.
To say guns kill people is to say automobiles drive drunk and matches commit arson.

Posted:  7/18/2008 3:47 PM #2614
Jeffrey

Last Post: 12/18/2009
I also have shot scads of the same winchester valu pack .45 with no problems....
When was the last time you went to the range?

Posted:  7/18/2008 7:52 PM #2615
SithLord

Last Post: 4/4/2009
Jeffrey-I also have shot scads of the same winchester valu pack .45 with no problems....

Same here - well over 500 rounds through my XD - not a single glitch.
"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense". President John Adams.

Posted:  11/4/2008 12:44 PM #2564
191145acp

Last Post: 11/5/2008
walmart sells the cheapest ammo around here, but I don't buy it, I reload everything I shoot. :D
save a car, kill a deer

Posted:  11/4/2008 1:19 PM #2568
MartiMcFly

Last Post: 10/27/2010
I think it was just a selling point. A way to get you to buy their ammo so they make a profit.
Martin
MartinD@CheaperThanDirt.com
www.CheaperThanDirt.com

Posted:  11/5/2008 6:24 AM #2561
Jeffrey

Series 70 government models are great. However, the "loose setting" is false. There is no setting for looser or tighter. If it rattles when shaken might need a slide tightening. Be sure that the smith is a good one before you allow him to tighten it!! A .45 can almost always be impoved by polishing the feed ramp. The barrel link or barrel bushing may be worn. I would recomend taking it to a reputable smith for a "tune up/tighten up". Some people say that a loose action is more reliable, I say that a loose action is less accurate. If it operates for him 100% at fast rates, but not for you, try tightening your grip. Either way, if he likes his pistol the way it is, and works well for him, great. The real solution is for you to get your own pistol that fits your preferences.

Posted:  1/4/2009 2:12 PM #2494
BT2Flip

Last Post: 1/4/2009
Subject: Re: Wal mart ammo
Rangerair07-I have heard mixed reviews about wal mart ammo specifically winchester .45 acp 100 value pack. At a gun store that I go to they have a barrel from a Kimber 1911 that they say has split from this ammo and say that we shouldn't always buy the cheap ammo, so I cant tell if they are telling the truth or if they just want my money. My boss uses this same ammo and says that he hasnt had any problems and I would just like to know if this is something that I should be worried about.

thats my main "Plinking" ammo...and I have NEVER even had a misfire
that Kimber was probably using +P and had a blow out
and the gun shop was just playing you for a NewBee
Names Flip
A.F.&;A.M.
2 B 1 ask 1
New Hampster

Posted:  1/11/2009 11:24 PM #2482
southbound

Last Post: 2/23/2007
I shoot a custom made Briley .45 that suffered something similar. Where the barrel locks to the frame was sheared while shooting at the range. I thought maybe that it was the ammo that caused it, but thought about the thousands of rounds that I have put through this gun. Maybe it was a metallurgy issue. Fatigue if you will from many a day having some of the best times of my life. Some barrels can only take so much for so long. I do also know that most barrel makers will replace their product and make repairs to keep it on the DL if you know what I mean. It was the barrel's fault not the ammo.
“The road is long
With many a winding turn.
That leads us to who knows where.
Who knows when.
But I am strong.
Strong enough to carry him.
He ain’t heavy, He is my brother.”

Posted:  1/12/2009 10:24 PM #2479
Jeffrey

Yeah, I call BS on that salesmans statement.

Posted:  1/13/2009 10:31 PM #2475
General Protection Fault

Last Post: 4/10/2009
I've never had any problems with the white box Winchester .45 ACP in my 1911, but I did have some failure to feed, failure to eject, and slam-fire problems in my semi-auto Thompson SMG clone - I blame the gun, not the ammo, as I had the same problems with other brands of ammo (I'll have to have a gunsmith take a good look at that poor thing some day.)

I have had problems with the super-cheap Winchester "Universal" low-brass 12-gauge shotgun shells feeding in my Saiga-12, however, and I will blame that on the ammo just being too wimpy to cycle a semi-auto shotgun. I have had no problems with any other ammo in the Saiga, and the super-cheap stuff works just fine in my pump shotgun. Not a problem for me - I'll just use the Wally World ammo for practicing with my pump shotgun, and break out the slightly more expensive surplus buckshot for the Saiga to eat like candy.

As an aside, you probably won't ever find it at Wal-Mart, but there apparently is a type of military surplus 7.62x25 "Tokarev" ammo which is very hot, and will damage the aging military surplus handgun it's fired from (including breaking the frame and splitting the barrel), as it was apparently intended for a submachinegun instead. Consequently, I suppose it would be possible to run across hot ammo that would damage a gun in this way, particularly if, as mentioned above, metal fatigue or cheap materials or construction come into play on the gun.

I have a feeling the cheaper ammo is far, far more likely to not be strong enough to cycle an auto-loading weapon properly than it would to be so powerful it damages the gun, as it would seem to me that the powder would be one of the things the manufacturers would skimp on to cut costs.

Posted:  1/15/2009 10:35 AM #2493
Ron

Last Post: 5/11/2009
Subject: Walmart Ammo for .45 ACP
I have purchased 2 - 100 packs of 45 ACP from Walmart on two separate occasions. They always have winchester brand in a white box. I have shot all of this ammo up in my Kimber 1911. It isn't as accurate as other stuff I have shot but it has not malfunctioned once. For going to the range for general use and just plinking, I would recommend this stuff.

Posted:  4/13/2009 2:51 PM #15505
Vanilla Gorilla

Last Post: 4/13/2009
I say whack the salesman...LOL
When you have been one of those who "buys all they had" don't bitch when you can't find anymore!

Posted:  4/19/2009 7:53 AM #15993
Key West Gary

Last Post: 4/19/2009
Although I load most of my ammo I buy most of what I don't load from Walmart. The Winchester ammo you buy at Walmart is Winchester ammo not Walmart ammo. Of course the gun store basher Walmart. Walmart out prices and out sellt him. It is always easy to dislike someone who out does you. Do you really believe Winchester says: "This ammo is going to Walmart. Let's make it bad."?

Posted:  4/20/2009 9:47 AM #16018
Gearman

Last Post: 8/28/2013
I found the same problem with the Winchester shotshells. It doesn't have enough oomph to cycle a semi-auto. I don't have a problem with the Federal or Remington 100 round boxes, just the Winchester.

Posted:  4/22/2009 2:41 PM #16118
Speed Biker

Last Post: 1/24/2013
I recently talked to a shooting range owner about this issue. He told me they had noticed more issues with ammo bought at Wal Mart (misfires) than ammo bought at other retailers. He had heard the the major U.S. manufacturers actually set aside ammo that wasn't perfect (i.e. discolored) to sell to Wal Mart at a discounted price. This person's info is generally accurate so, who knows?

Posted:  5/9/2010 8:08 PM #22608
urbanwine

Last Post: 5/9/2010
To all who dont know. Winchester is not allowed to sell ammo it knows to be in default to walmart at a cheaper price. Walmart is a large company and they can LEVERAGE purchase price for the quantity they buy, just like mcdonalds gets cheaper beef than you and I. The ammo is the cheapest and manufactured the same way and other sellers are offering at a higher price because they do not have the purchasing power walmart does. Great ammo .45 acp winchester 100 bulk. Get to know your sales person they will order you cases of 10 100 rd per box for ya. If you dont know, buy something else so I can get the awesome price. Save your brass and reload then your hobby wont affect the bottom line of your household as much.

Posted:  6/29/2010 12:08 PM #23281
buckstone

Last Post: 10/15/2010
I am not an expert on ammo ballistics, but I have bought a large quantity of ammo from Wal-Mart, including the Winchester bulk packs with no problems.  Because of the size of the WM operation they are able to negotiate special deals on a variety of items, including ammo.  I only stay with the known names when buying ammo at WM. Winchester, Remington and so on. I am constantly on the look-out for ammo deals and Wal-Mart does have very good deals.  As well as CTD!

Posted:  8/9/2010 5:05 PM #23649
Couch Potato

Last Post: 8/9/2010
Walmart is a very large company, and for many items manufacturers produce versions of their products found only in Walmart stores. The packaging will look the same, and few indications exist to show you are not getting the same product you would get at other stores. Getting something that is actually a cheaper product, not just lower priced, occurs with everything from underwear to frozen food. I do not know if that is the case with some of the ammunition sold at Walmart, but I would assume that department is just like all the others. Be particularly wary of products in special packaging not found in other stores.

Posted:  8/10/2010 2:33 AM #23651
mtnboomer

Last Post: 4/17/2014
On products, like ammunition, that have to meet certain strict guidelines (local, regional, federal, international, etc.) Walmart cannot dictate any manufacturing changes to that product other than packaging or negotiation of price. Ammunition manufacturers will not vary from their minimum product safety standards for any wholesale or retail entity do to product liability issues. Knowingly violating these issues could, and would, put the manufacturer and Walmart out of business. This is not to say that the manufacturer cannot create a product line that, while meeting the "minimum standards", uses less expensive components to reduce the overall price of a type of product strictly for sale to a large chain retailer like Walmart. This happens all the time and are usually refered to as "store brands" or "manufactured by ______________ for sale exclusively by ___________". However, as a former Wallyworld employee, I never saw that with ammunition (ok, except maybe .22) and that is probably because ammo manufacturers try to keep their component prices to a minimum anyway.
"I'd love to spit some Beech-Nut in that dude's eyes and shoot 'em with my ol' .45, cuz a country boy can survive!" Hank Williams, Jr.

Support the Second Amendment - Join the NRA http://www.nra.org

Oklahoma State #1 - GO POKES!

Posted:  10/8/2010 9:29 PM #24209
lawrence1

Last Post: 10/8/2010
i had the fortune of meeting alice walton (owner of walmart)last sunday at an opening of a church my father had built next to her ranch in west texas,she was just a normal person,not flashy   but just normal,i mentioned about ammo that they were selling and she told me she knew they had some compaints  but the ammo is 100% ok    so i think its just the gun shop owner being greedy                                                                              walmart  100 rounds 45acp $32   gun range $35  50 rounds

Posted:  11/6/2010 1:38 PM #24528
Texas Ranger

Last Post: 3/30/2011
Word is some of the newest production White Box is leaving unburnt powder in barrels. Not what you'd want in ammo from such a reputible company.

Posted:  3/11/2011 9:39 AM #26304
eastonrover

Last Post: 3/11/2011
A little bit off the ubject, but still relative I think.  There's a gun shop near me in The People's Republic of Massachusetts, where the owner told me that the Winchester shotgun I bought at Wal mart was perfectly good if it was to be used as a paddle!  He said that Winchester and other companies only sell guns with imperfections to Wally World.  His price was roughly double of what I paid.  Many people regard this shop owner as a bit of a joke, and only visit because there are so few shops in this state.  It is sad though that things like this happen.  I can't for the life of me imagine a company like Winchester selling faulty or imperfect firearms to America's largest retailer. 
I have had pretty much the same results of  misfires, hang fires and so forth with ammo from all types of retailers.

Posted:  6/4/2011 8:21 AM #27251
jbntx

Last Post: 6/4/2011
Any firearm or box of ammo that leaves the Remington or Winchester plant should be subject to the same quality control. Period. If you want to believe they're pawning off  sub-standard production to different retailers while still retaining the packaging and stamping with their Brand on it, then I would expect you to believe a lot of conspiracy theories out there. If you have problems with reputable manufacturer's products and Wal Mart or any other retailer can't do anything about it, go to the manufacturer and try to settle up.

Posted:  7/7/2012 3:15 PM #32493
oldiron_79

Last Post: 5/29/2013
All Ammo produced in the U.S. has to meet SAAMI standards and all ammo produced in most european countries(even eastern block) has to meet C.I.P. standards. so unless its imported from China or Pakistan or some such place I don't forsee quality control problems
"A nation willing to sacrifice liberty for some temporary safety deserves neither safety nor liberty, and shall receive neither" Benjamin Franklin

Posted:  10/2/2012 12:27 AM #34364
carlsbad

Last Post: 10/2/2012
You hear an occasional story of a bad round or a bad batch of name brand ammo found at Walmart. This is probably true. All manufacturers have defects--even Motorola with their 6-sigma goal.  Walmart sells more ammo than any other retailer so the defects are just mathematically more likely to be found there.  But any single box you buy there is NOT more likely to contain a defect.  Just the facts (and the math), maam.

--Jerry

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums