You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  10/24/2013 9:25 AM #39486
CTD Blogger

Last Post: 8/20/2014
Subject: Train like you would while defending your life.
From The Old Gunhand: Just sitting here working with the TV tuned to one of those reality Police shows and happened to look at it when a LEO was attacked by a man with a gun who was shooting at him. The bad guy did not hit the LEO but the LEO shot the BG 4 times as the BG was running away. Despite being shot 4 times the BG was able to shoot at the LEO 3 more times before falling to the ground and even then, he still maintained possession of the gun and would have still been shooting if the LEO did not take cover behind his car and out of sight of the BG who was laying in a ditch.

This is a reminder that handguns are poor man stoppers and we all must be prepared to keep shooting until the bad guy ceases his bad behavior. However, I mostly see guys and gals shooting at a range one slow shot at a time. Most do not know what a trigger reset is or a double tap. I have to wonder if these people will shoot once and then stop when attacked because that is how most seem to practice. Most times I am the only person at my range who will empty an mag rapidly into a target. Everyone else does slow aimed fire which I think is a bad way to train. Some say ammo is very expensive and they pay for an hour of range time so they do not want to burn through a box of ammo in 15 minutes, like I do. I can understand that but also understand that by practicing that way they are training their mind and body to shoot in a manner that is not conducive to self defense given the less than stellar performance of a handgun.

What is worse are those who use guns with either a DA/SA or SA with manual safety, who only practice in SA mode with the safety off safe. They never practice mastering that first long and hard first DA shot or moving a manual safety off safe before each shot to burn that into their muscle memory. They think that they will remember to do so when needed. I think not as I have seen shooting competitors who shoot a lot, forget to take their gun off safe. In fact, when we saw that the first shot did nothing, we would all shout out “Safety”.

I see something similar with revolver shooters. Some will thumb back the hammer and spend most of their range time, if not all, shooting single action. That is another dangerous training regimen unless, due to medical condition, it is the only way for the shooter to shoot.

In the same vein, there are many who attend a self defense training class carrying a gun unlike they normally carry it concealed and in some cases, use a gun that they shoot well rather than actually carry. I have met a lot of people who carry small pocket guns but when attending training classes, bring their home defense guns like a Glock 17. They seem to do this because they approach the training class as something to do well in rather than to train with their EDC gun.

You can see in the above photo, what I mean. only one person in this class dressed with a covering shirt. The rest have their guns in OWB holster unlike how they normally will carry their concealed weapon. In my opinion, most gun owners rarely practice drawing from concealment and shooting. A lot of that has to do with many ranges not permitting you to do so and I can understand that. However, there are many shooting sports that you can take part in where you will get a lot of practice drawing and shooting. IDPA will allow you to shoot from concealment. You do not have to enter any of these sports with the idea to win. Rather you can approach them as providing you with the opportunity to learn to draw and shoot under at least a minimum of stress. Shooting under stress can thwart even a champion bulls-eye shooter, even one that has won a national title. I have seen this with my own eyes. :-)

So the moral of all this is that handguns are not great stoppers despite all the charts and studies often cited on the internet and we should train like we would fight. Practicing for years shooting one slow aimed shot at a time will develop muscle memory and behavior that can prove dangerous in a real life situation.

http://oldgunhand.com/?p=7233

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums