You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  9/11/2012 6:30 PM #33943
Sic6Sic

Last Post: 9/13/2012
Subject: New to Prepping. Need any advice you can give.
My wife and I are just getting started with the whole prepping world. I would like to know what is a good place to start to look for information. It seems like there is about a million things that I should be getting ready, buying, storing, hording....ect. Yet we have not been able to find a really good place to get information from. What should be in our B.O.B. ? what kinds of supplies should be avoid stocking? What should our medical bag have in it? Those types of questions. If anyone has a good solid list or knows where I can start compiling information, please let me know. 

Posted:  9/11/2012 6:34 PM #33945
Texan Raven

Last Post: 1/9/2013
This entire Survival and Preparedness thread is a good place to start. We have covered topics from Bug Out Bags, to survival medicine, etc.

Posted:  9/11/2012 7:03 PM #33952
horselips

Last Post: 8/19/2014
Whatever information you get from any source, the first thing you're going to need is SPACE. You can't hoard, collect, or stockpile anything without ROOM. If your room is inside your house, you'll need to secure your home. If it's outside in a detached garage or storage building, you'll need to make sure it is secured and difficult to break into. Consider steel core doors, strong locks, decorative bars on windows (where fashionable), or whatever other options you have. If you're thinking about building a sanctuary away from your home, that's more than another can of worms  - that's a full 55 Gallon Drum of worms. If not, where exactly will you be bugging out to? What will you do when you get there?

Will you be going it alone? Allying with friends and family? Neighbors? The ideology and philosophy of your prepping is as important as the material and skills end of it. Will the cost of supplies be born by you alone, or shared with others? If including neighbors are part of your plan, are your homes contiguous? Can they be secured, or better yet, fortified together?

As you can see, there is a lot to consider before you even begin formal "prepping." And you can "prepare" for a multitude of potential situations - from temporary blips in the social order like a riot or natural disaster - a bugout bag is ideal for that- to going all out in an effort to survive a SHTF scenario, or even TEOTWAWKI. Or even worse yet, the re-election of the President. God help us. 

Posted:  9/11/2012 7:12 PM #33955
ancona77

Last Post: 9/18/2013
Start with what horselips and Texas raven said. Then I would start with your bug out bag first. Get all the basics, food, water, fire starters, water filter, basic medical supplies and some quick clot. Emergency blankets, Chem lights, flashlights, paracord, plastic bags, some warm clothing, rain gear, socks, underware, ect.. ect... Keep it light and the important essentials and build from their.
HAPPINESS IS A WELL FED BELT FED!

Posted:  9/11/2012 10:04 PM #33960
ancona77

In My bug out bag so far............ One set bdu's top and bottom. Gloves, balaclava, boonie hat,Three pairs cotton socks, three pair wool socks, brand new pair oakley combat boots, three t shirts, four pairs underware, water filter, binoculars, 9 Chem lights, butane lighter, waterproof matches, 100ft 3/8 braided rope, 200ft paracord, batteries for everything, mag light, head lamp, red flashlight, propane bottle with small stove burner,axe, buck knife, small fishing kit, military gortex rain gear ecws, ink pens, trash bags, ziploc bags, magnesium fire starter, military shovel, canteen, camel back, soap, medical gauze wraps, large dressing pads, 200 bandages, iodine wipes, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, athletic tape, quick clot, laxitives, constepation medicine, bactricine, ibprophen, pain killers, needles, rubber gloves, safety pins, floss, toothpaste n toothbrush, contact solution, several types of cold medicines, random stuff out of a first aid kit and turniquettes. I will add or delete stuff as I get more stuff. It's always a ongoing process to narrow it down and make it light but still cover a wide range of needs. If I have too I can always ditch some stuff and hide it to make it all lighter and come back to it if possible. All that plus the clothes I'm wearing at the time, ammo, extra bottles of water, rifle, handgun, plate carrier vest. It's about 70 to 80lbs plus guns and ammo.

Posted:  9/11/2012 10:06 PM #33961
ancona77

Oh forgot my Condor fleece sweater and Condor soft shell jacket.

Posted:  9/11/2012 10:12 PM #33963
Zale

Last Post: 9/11/2012
If you have Netflix, watch "Red Dawn".  Then watch "Jericho" the series.  A good follow up would be "Contagion".  Once you've watched those, think about what would be really cool to have to survive in those scenarios.  Then look at your budget and buy accordingly.  You don't have to spend a lot to have some essential preps done.

Posted:  9/11/2012 10:22 PM #33964
ancona77

Also forgot scissors, compass and a pocket reference book. I'm sure I have missed some other stuff too.

Posted:  9/11/2012 10:28 PM #33965
ancona77

Have a MSA gasmask too but its too small for my face so giving it to my girlfriend and going to find me a different one. M40 if I can find one at a decent price. If not a full face MSA or 3M. As long as it has the 40mm NATO thread filters. Then you can get the 40mm to 60mm adapter for a wider range of filters that can be used.

Posted:  9/12/2012 3:14 AM #33967
78corvette

Last Post: 2/19/2013
for your IFAK I would have a tourniquet, pressure dressing, 3-4 packs of combat gauze, quick clot and some latex gloves for serious wounds. One for you and one for your wife if one of you gets hurt(God forbid) use THEIR IFAK on them.

Posted:  9/12/2012 8:05 AM #33969
hot_lips_banana

Last Post: 8/8/2014
I started with the basics: water, food, ammo, a good knife, a fire starter, a flashlight, and batteries.
CTD Forum Moderator

Posted:  9/12/2012 5:20 PM #34000
asmurff

Last Post: 11/8/2012
I think a go place to start to keep from being overwhelmed is to get together 3 days of bug in and bug out supplies! After you get it complete up the ante in increments your budget and space allow. This forum is great and American Preppers is another good site with lots of ifno http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/ 

Posted:  9/12/2012 9:01 PM #34007
horselips

Last Post: 8/19/2014
I ask again, exactly where are you bugging out to? What makes you think in a SHTF scenario you'll be able to get there? What do you expect to find there? What do you do when your bug out bags are all used up? Do you expect to ever return to your home? What condition do you expect to find it in when you return?

Bug out bags and a plan to go with them make perfect sense when, because of a temporary disruption in the regular order due to mild civil unrest or natural disaster you and/or the local authorities think it prudent to evacuate and spend a short time away from your usual digs. But for anything beyond that, fugetaboutit  - I'm forting up with my buds right where I am. If you think you have a better chance going on the lam, be my guest. 

Posted:  9/13/2012 4:24 PM #34033
Sic6Sic

Last Post: 9/13/2012
Thank you for all the information. We haven't decided yet where we would bug out to if we absolutely had to get out of the area. There are a lot of good questions raised for me with the information given here, and now need to set a plan in motion to get us to where we need to be. Again, thank you all for your input

Posted:  9/17/2012 7:58 AM #34087
hot_lips_banana

Last Post: 8/8/2014
If you are really preparing to bug-out v. bug-in, make sure you store gas. We have seen time and time again during evacuations during a hurricane- there will be NO gas. You can replace "hurricane" with anything else really- wild fires, epidemics, etc.
CTD Forum Moderator

Posted:  9/18/2012 7:15 PM #34134
asmurff

Last Post: 11/8/2012

If you're going to store gas make sure you put stabilizer in it when you do.

Posted:  9/25/2012 12:45 PM #34239
geiger SEK

Last Post: 9/25/2012
first, you need to decide if your gonna bug in, or if bugging out is best for you, then acquire gear.

alot of good info with a zombie twist at http://www.zombiehunters.org really good forum community. also, research self reliance topics.. dave from dual survival has hundreds of amazing videos on youtube.. wilderness outfitters/pathfinders school. if your bugging in, id refer you to southernprepper1 on youtube. been following him for a long time.

Posted:  9/25/2012 8:39 PM #34247
mobilesniper

Last Post: 10/1/2012
the first thing i can tell you having battlefield experience and first hand survival experience on a battlefield.  you will hear a lot about gas masks, ammo, food, etc. from people that THINK they are somehow going to have magical military training. but the FIRST items you should put together without fail is to 1. stockpile bottled water.  you can go a month without food, but only a few days without water before your body shuts down. if you do not have water then all the guns, ammo, food, etc. won't do you any good.  so stock up a plentiful supply of water at least 2 gallons per day per person (they say one, but in a survival situation or a hot climate you WILL drink more than one gallon a day) as you cannot rely on having running water.  the second most critical thing is a good medical kit.  you need sutures (which you can pick up from a feed supply store for animals they're sterile just the same as those for a human and are the same thing), items to splint a broken bone such as s.a.m. splints or straight pieces of wood along with bandaging to wrap the splints tightly.  a casualty blanket which can be made into a makeshift stretcher if need be is a good idea, as well as basics for burns, cuts, antibiotic ointments, and also a stockpile of at least 30 days of your medications you may NEED (blood pressure pills etc.) just remember to use those up before they reach expiration date and rotate them out regularly.  without medical care if you become severely injured once again all the ammo, guns, food, etc. won't do you any good if you are either dead or unable to use them.  additionally body armor (such as u.s. palm) to protect yourselves if you have to bug out may be a good idea to consider.  after that, a multipurpose weapon that can be used for security, hunting, ground support, etc. is a good choice and a plentiful supply of ammo for it.  if you're not comfortable at your riflemanship skills under pressure when you're being shot at then perhaps a shotgun would be a useful tool to consider.  a handgun and plenty of ammo for it to defend INSIDE the home is also adviseable.  from there a form of communications such as a ham radio or even a pair of motorola talkabouts.   if you can't call for help when communications are down you're pretty well on your own and royally screwed. from there, those being the most critical items to consider most important in decending order, it is pretty much up to you as there is NO "one size fits all works for all" survival kit. what you need will depend on your situation, how many family members you have, how quickly or slowly you have to move IF you have to move, and where you live (urban, suburban, rural, mountains, desert, etc).   those are all factors that will determine what you need most and what you really don't need unless you want to believe you can carry over 100 pounds worth of stuff like the idiots on doomsday preppers etc.   keep it practical, keep it plentiful, but keep your bug out bags light as possible and useful (remember bug out is the LAST choice not the first).

Posted:  9/27/2012 7:24 PM #34304
everythingsurvivalist.com

Last Post: 9/27/2012
Checkout this video it will help you with your b.o.b. there is 4 parts and there's more videos About weapons and other stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIxWMa1CS0A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums