You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  5/1/2009 12:32 AM #16289
woodcutter

Last Post: 9/13/2009
Subject: sks firing pin removal
I have been thinking about getting one of those spring loaded firing pins and was wondering what is the process for getting the original one out?

Posted:  5/1/2009 6:44 PM #16295
General_Protection_Fault

Last Post: 12/1/2012
Woodcutter, I think I had a tutorial for that written down in the forum somewhere, but I'm not sure where to find it now.

The firing pin is held in place in the bolt by a pin through the bolt - the tricky part is getting that pin knocked out. I'm going to try to remember how I did that, and describe it in more detail....

EDIT: On second thought, rather than re-inventing the wheel and using crude ASCII sketches, I'll refer you instead to this great website (complete with nice photos.) It won't be necessary to disassemble the extractor for installing the spring-loaded firing pin, so you can skip steps 4, 5, and 6 (unless you want to give the extractor and its spring a good cleaning.) The whole site is a great resource for anyone who likes collecting these old rifles. Hope that helps!

EDIT: Fixed the link.
CTD's Curio & Relic Forum
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/forums/topics.aspx?forumID=27

Posted:  5/3/2009 5:24 PM #16336
General_Protection_Fault

Last Post: 12/1/2012
I goofed the link above up, but it should be fixed now. Sorry about that!

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to Murray's Gunsmithing, the manufacturers of the spring-loaded SKS firing pins; they do have some detailed pictures of the firing pins and the bolt that might also help provide an idea of how to disassemble the bolt (their firing pin is also shipped with detailed installation instructions.)

This is one of the few aftermarket modifications of an SKS that I can enthusiastically recommend! It's not too difficult (I don't think I needed anything more than a hammer and a punch, and a little patience to gently tap the pin loose), it's virtually invisible so that it doesn't destroy the SKS's original rugged good looks, it helps to improve the safety and reliability of the gun, it's fairly inexpensive, and it's more like a restoration of the original Simonov design than it is a modification. And it's completely reversible: if you have a potentially collectible SKS, save the original firing pin and keep it someplace safe (maybe in the buttstock tool kit tube, or with the instructions in a small zip-lock bag folded up and placed at the bottom of one of the ammo pouches), and the rifle can just as easily be converted back to its original condition in the future.
CTD's Curio & Relic Forum
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/forums/topics.aspx?forumID=27

Posted:  5/12/2009 7:49 AM #16550
utahsksguy

Last Post: 8/7/2009

Instead of trying to redo the original bolt including the firing pin, I bought a whole new bolt instead. TAPCO now makes and sells complete bolts including spring loaded firing pins. But the draw back it's not a drop and fire part. The SKS and the bolt, mainly the bolt, needs to be headspaced/custom fitted to the rifle by a qualified gunsmith, which is currently being done to my Chinese SKS. Basically I've learned my lessons about trying to remove tight fitting parts and then spend time and money on replaceing parts I've messed up..... Before I forget this, with the newly designed TAPCO bolt you can insert or remove the mags with the bolt forward unlike with the original....
"The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian Doctrine" - President George Washington 1794
-Chinese Type 56 SKS, Tapco T-6 Fusion kit, Choate Recoil reducer (Compensator), and when needed for those long range and personal shots, a Barska 4x32mm Contour Compact scope
-Hi-Point JHP .45 acp
-NEF/H&R "Pardner" 12ga. 18.5" Barrel Pump action shotgun w/ATI heatshield w/ghost sights, ATI Tele. stock w/pistolgrip and 5rd shotholder
-Bushmaster XM15-E2S M4A3 w/TroyInd. fixed rear sight

Posted:  5/18/2009 6:02 PM #16647
woodcutter

Last Post: 9/13/2009
thanks GPF that is what I was looking for.

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums