You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  7/5/2010 7:40 PM #23360
Richh56

Last Post: 7/6/2010
Subject: firearm in car / truck ??
I am wondering if anyone else keeps a firearm stashed in their car or truck ?

I picked up an SKS for 100 bucks and decided to keep it stored in a tacticle bag behind my truck seat. The gun is unloaded, but 3 thirty rd mags are ready to lock and load at the need. I picked the SKS over my AR 15 due to what I paid for it. I prefer my AR in a shtf event, but the SKS is more then able to handle her own  

In my truck bed under the locked cap I have a plastic tote that contains my BOBs. One of which contains a 9MM with 4 loaded mags. Again, far from my best guns.

I realized that in my life I am never far away from my 4x4. So a quick reach and there with me and if  I have to bug out on the spot I got them.

I have a CCW permit and carry daily.

Is this over the top??????

Posted:  7/6/2010 2:23 PM #23368
hot_lips_banana

Last Post: 8/8/2014
When I keep a gun in my car, it's my NAA (mini revolver)- kept loaded. This is because it's a cheap gun to replace if it were have to be taken away and it is super easy to keep it concealed in a small space close to me, like the center console. I would think that carrying the SKS would be only for a bug out situation, instead of trying to save your life from car jackers or whatever bad guys- I would think it would take precious time to get it, load, it, etc. But then again, in Texas we are allowed to keep a loaded gun in our cars without a permit. Richh- I would also worry about someone stealing your rifle, or your truck for that matter!
CTD Forum Moderator

Posted:  7/6/2010 4:01 PM #23376
Speed Biker

Last Post: 1/24/2013
I carry my H&K USP 9mm in my car loaded with 147 grain Winchester Ranger SXT rounds.  

Posted:  7/6/2010 9:33 PM #23380
AMAZINGRACE

Last Post: 9/2/2010
The only firearm that is in my truck is the Sig on my side. About 20 years ago my truck was cleaned out over the weekend by some punks. They took everything, including the nails and screws. Can you believe that ship!!!!!!                Well, I had a pump 12 ga. shot gun behind the drivers seat. Needless to say that was gone. What a hassle the amount of paper work involved to report a stolen shotgun. I will not get involved like that again. For me the answer is  NO.
Unless the situation changes for the worse..................of course.

Posted:  7/7/2010 11:28 AM #23388
Sergeant Red

Last Post: 5/31/2013
I like the idea of a trunk or truck gun, but my lifestyle would make this a huge hassle.  I do load up the trunk for longer trips and when I can keep a gun there.
NOTE: THIS IS A WITTY AND/OR COOL SIGNATURE!

Posted:  9/9/2010 8:22 AM #23924
oldiron_79

Last Post: 5/29/2013
I generally keep a cheap ex cop K frame .357mag in the truck console because as a long barrel revolver its not THAT likely to be used in a crime if stolen and is fairly cheap by gun standards if stolen.
"A nation willing to sacrifice liberty for some temporary safety deserves neither safety nor liberty, and shall receive neither" Benjamin Franklin

Posted:  7/7/2011 4:27 AM #27367
aztimberwolf

Last Post: 9/12/2011
yep run a cable lock thur the action so it dont walk off

Posted:  7/7/2011 4:55 PM #27369
webrik33

Last Post: 7/7/2011
Amazing Grace....what state do you live in? where do you leave your 'Sig on your side' when you are entering buildings and/or place that don't allow CCW? like state/federal buildings, college campuses, any building that has a sign that states(with picture here in my state) 'No CCW', bars, arenas, etc. etc.

If it's not stated in your states laws that you 'can't' have a loaded weapon unattended in vehicle i don't see the problem. Here in Arkansas, without a CCW you can carry a 'unloaded' firearm, the ammo/magazine just must be kept seperate from firearm. With a CCW you can have a loaded weapon to conceal carry or unattended in parked, locked, vehicle.

I don't understand what you mean by amount of paperwork involved. You call the police, they fill out a report. It would be no different than having firearms stolen from your home. Unless the firearm you mentioned was unregistered? Or not registered in your
 name? And on the plus side, reporting firearms stolen releases you from liabilities if used in a crime or someone is injured by weapon.

Posted:  7/13/2011 8:34 PM #27375
Amazingrace II

Last Post: 10/2/2012
Webrik, 
New York state, not the city. Today I need to plan where I am going to make sure I will not be entering a restricted area.
You are right. I mean, I have a zero restriction full concealed carry pistol permit. But there is a long list of areas that do not permit it and the list is growing daily. It is not the law that is telling me not to leave it in the truck. It's me, I can't afford to have anything stolen, specifically a firearm. The closer you get to the city it seems the more anti gun it becomes. Sure, I filled out all the paper work and reports. A couple of days after that  I had to sit down with some detectives. Everything on my end was legit, they just had a lot of questions. It was in the late eighties, maybe things are different. But, like I said, I don't want to go though that again.   I sleep better at night knowing that there is little chance of a repeat. Everyone has a comfort zone. Considering where I live and the area that I travel though to get to work, I prefer not leaving firearms unattended in the truck. 
When the second falls the rest will follow.

Posted:  7/21/2011 12:10 PM #27386
Under DeGun

Last Post: 1/6/2014
Though I would love to do the same thing, I really don't think it's the best plan.  Ammo is good to have but do you really want "Elmo Jerkopff" to have your 9 with four loaded mags?  Yes, the SKS is cheap, but again, do you want folks to "have" it.  Nothing is safe inside a vehicle.  Why?  Bottom line - it is movable.  Worse case - bad guy or someone else tows it off and everything is gone.  for me - guns on person, extra ammo in bag.  Big guns (rifles) staged at locations I can probably get to if TSHTF.  IMHO

Now, for a solution if you have to have it there;  think like a mule moving contraband.  I know one guy that cut a piece of sheet steel and mounted it in his truck bed at a height that is exactly enough to stash his longguns, ammo, and a few other prepper items - then rhinolined the whole damn thing..  Another guy bought a inbed fuel tank and modified that to separate off a compartment under the fuel for the same purpose.  There are many other ways.  Bottom line - "HIDE/SECURE", adapt, overcome.  Start from the mindset that "If it is in a vehicle it WILL disappear - how can I make that inevitable outcome less likely.

Cheers,
Doc

~GUN CONTROL: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.
~EVIL: "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

Posted:  8/19/2011 8:17 PM #27617
skewed

Last Post: 7/11/2012
ohmigod, on top of it being a feelbe .22, you pick one that is so awkward/slow to use? Sheesh, man, at least get an autoloader, cause you will probably have to empty the mag into a guy's face/neck to stop him with a .22, and do it in 1 second flat, too. Not one shot per second, with a silly little single action revolver, that doesn't even have a trigger guard, or a  hammer that is quick to thumb back.

Posted:  12/13/2011 9:48 PM #29329
BigDukeSix

Last Post: 1/26/2013
I live in Illinois, so NO.  Hopefully in the near future, this will change.  Either that or I'll be forced to move to a State where I have more rights to self protection.
~Stay safe, stay prepared!

~Remember, two is one and one is none. Always have a backup!

~If you show up for a fair fight, you are NOT prepared!

Posted:  12/14/2011 1:12 PM #29352
skewed

Last Post: 7/11/2012
if you WEAR a pistol, you should be able to get the rifle into play around your vehicle. If you are driving,the smart thing to do, in almost every case, is STOP the vehicle, get out and use the engine block as cover. If you do this, getting the rifle ready should not add much, if any to your "dismount" time, and having the rifle, especially one that has steel cored .30 ak ammo in it, will help a lot, relative to having ANY sort of pistol.

Posted:  12/14/2011 4:50 PM #29362
Texan Raven

Last Post: 1/9/2013
Posted by:skewed
"
if you WEAR a pistol, you should be able to get the rifle into play around your vehicle. If you are driving,the smart thing to do, in almost every case, is STOP the vehicle, get out and use the engine block as cover. If you do this, getting the rifle ready should not add much, if any to your "dismount" time, and having the rifle, especially one that has steel cored .30 ak ammo in it, will help a lot, relative to having ANY sort of pistol.
"

WRONG!!!!!!! The best advice is to get out of Dodge, if at all practicable. Stopping and engaging in a shootout is quite possibly the worst thing you can do, unless it is your ONLY option. Do you want to explain to the cops, or a jury why you chose to engage in a shoot-out as opposed to getting away?

Posted:  12/14/2011 7:40 PM #29366
BigDukeSix

Last Post: 1/26/2013
I'm with Texas Raven on this one.  If you can retreat, I believe you have a duty to do so.  If you're cut off and have no means of escape, then by all means engage and destroy the enemy. 
~Stay safe, stay prepared!

~Remember, two is one and one is none. Always have a backup!

~If you show up for a fair fight, you are NOT prepared!

Posted:  12/14/2011 10:01 PM #29375
Amazingrace II

Last Post: 10/2/2012
Skewed, If you are talking about a SHTF scenario. Ok, maybe, But ,why?.    You past post had me thinking that you would be hiding in a grub infested log or something. Why would you battle it out unless your had no choice. Why risk death. Other then a SHTF situation, boy do you have allot of explaining to do. The police are going to have a field day with you. Your wrong, until that day comes, run, drive walk away real fast. But don't engage.
When the second falls the rest will follow.

Posted:  1/24/2012 3:26 PM #30054
Warblade

Last Post: 12/18/2012
Leaving the firearms in the truck? IMO, bad idea for all the reasons stated so far. But stopping and engaging? I was always taught by the Army (and have been teaching my young soldiers) Shoot, Move, Communicate. These three things happen at the same time due to the fact we have a three man team. Gunner shoots, Driver drives, Team Leader comminicates. In this situation of being in the 4X4 truck (by yourself all these would be difficult to accomplish), I agree it should be Move (if possible), Shoot (if necessary) and THEN Communicate (MANDATORY)! This puts you in a good light when dealing later with the LEOs. "I tried to get away but he wouldn't let me and I was in fear for my life so I shot at/shot him and then called 911."

Posted:  10/8/2012 10:20 PM #34511
rusty shackleford

Last Post: 12/31/2013
I agree that escape is the best solution whenever possible, saves ammo, hassle, jail, etc. but I do agree with the thought of keeping my mosin, sks, shotty, and my pistol in my vehicle when Im out and about (after all, who says TScantHTF while your at work or at the grocery store? I think I would do what someone else suggested, and make a false bottom of my truck bed to hide my weapons in, and then take measures to prevent my vehicle from being stolen (for instance, you could rewire the negative terminal main ground on your battery under your dash to a hidden switch, that way when you get out you flick the switch off, and unless someone finds it they CANT hotwire your vehicle, even if they have a jumper pack or something)
ssssha shaw pocket sand!

Posted:  10/9/2012 12:53 AM #34514
horselips

Last Post: 8/19/2014
Stowed behind my spare tire (It's a 1978 Lincoln -I could probably put your whole car back there) is usually either my CETME or my AK-47 Underfolder with one loaded magazine. Hopefully they will soon be replaced by a neatly folded in half KelTec Sub2000. In the glovebox is my EDC CCW gun - NAA MiniRevolver, .22WMR, (1 5/8" barrel) which goes with me if I leave the vehicle.

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums