You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  3/20/2013 10:56 PM #37016
mnhunter3982

Last Post: 3/23/2013
Subject: FFL Suppressors in Minnesota
I heard that an FFL dealers in Minnesota can have suppressors. Is that just to have "in stock" or for "demo use" or what? Would a person be able to use a suppressor for sporting purposes (sports shooting, hunting, competition) or just for demo use? I am looking into getting an FFL and I see the benefits but what am I liable for? Only guns or ammo too, And suppressors are not legal for civilians so I can not sell them unless it is to another FFL dealer? Am I understanding this right? What am I missing?@import url(http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Forums/CuteSoft_Client/CuteEditor/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);

Posted:  3/21/2013 8:45 AM #37017
CommieB

Last Post: 9/26/2014

Depends on your state.

In most states, the FFL must pay an additional tax (SOT- Special Occupation Tax) to handle class 3 firearms. These would include machine guns, suppressors, and short barreled rifles and shotguns(SBR and SBS).  Machine guns manufactured before May 1986 can be transferred to civilians through the ATF buy paying another tax ($200 tax stamp).  

Many states allow the civilian ownership and use of suppressors. Some even allow for suppressor use while hunting.

Post 1986 machine guns are called dealer samples, and can only be sold to law enforcement or military. Dealer are allowed to purchase for demo purposes.  The rules for this have changed over time, and newly manufactured machine guns can be purchased only with a letter from an agency requesting the demo.

I would contact class 3 dealer in Minnesota to get the current legal situation in Minnesota. Last I heard, things were up for a vote to restrict your rights.

Posted:  3/21/2013 9:02 AM #37019
hot_lips_banana

Last Post: 8/8/2014
mnhunter3982- Here is an article on how to buy a suppressor- http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=21559
I hope it helps!
CTD Forum Moderator

Posted:  3/21/2013 9:41 PM #37035
mnhunter3982

Last Post: 3/23/2013
I about to attempt to fill out the paperwork for a FFL. I see when I printed it it came with 4 copies. Do I fill out all 4 copies or just one? 

When I have been approved with all of it and all of that good stuff is done...... Paperwork. Where do I get the forms? How long do I have keep the forms for each firearm? How does it work as private versus commercial?

Thanks 
@import url(http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Forums/CuteSoft_Client/CuteEditor/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);

Posted:  3/25/2013 9:09 AM #37062
CommieB

Last Post: 9/26/2014
You will need two original versions of the Form 4 and one original Citizenship Certificate that will go to the ATF along with your check for $200 per item. 

Keep a couple of copies for yourself.

Once the ATF approves your forms, they will send one original with a tax stamp back to your dealer. Then you can go and pick it up.  They will need to do a regular 4473 at the time of pickup.

Last I heard, transfers are taking 6-7 months.  The hardest part is the wait. There's a lot more people buying suppressors and making SBR's than ever.

CommieB 

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums