You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  11/28/2012 11:21 PM #35342
Landravager

Last Post: 12/1/2012
Subject: Locations don't always stay the same.
Hey, I'm new to the forums here and while reading a lot of good information here, I wanted to share a bit of my story.<br>
About 10 years ago, my house was a few miles outside of our town on a two lane highway with a gas station down the road and nothing but farms for the next twenty odd miles. I was happy with my 5 1/2 acres away from most of the snooping types and I was able to get away with a lot of stuff like digging a cellar, putting up a barn and shooting into the hill behind me with out people freaking out.<br>
All of that changed about 3 years ago when Walmart decided to put a store about 600 yards from my house. I won't go into the fight I had with them (I have my own reasons for never shopping there before), but suffice it to say I lost. Now I have a 4 lane highway with turning lanes in front of my house and three neighborhoods that have sprung up with startling speed. The entire area has built up and has been swallowed up by the city. Again I lost a battle when the city included me in the areas taken over by them.<br>
Since everything is so close now, I am not even able to load up my car without people watching me and my family. Our gardening has been under scrutiny since, as a resident of the city, they have strict (and stupid IMO) rules on how big they can be, and what they have in them.<br>
I am going to be moving further out again. This time I hope to be far enough away from people (or have enough land), that I can go back to the way my life was.<br>
Moral of the story: A good bug-out/bug-in location can be ruined by someone else with little or no warning.

Posted:  11/29/2012 1:39 AM #35344
horselips

Last Post: 8/19/2014
Quitcher bitchin'. With a nearby WalMart and neighborhoods being built all around, your property is sure to have appreciated geometrically. You'll not only recoup your investment, but assuredly make a sufficient profit to set up your new digs better than you ever imagined. You won the Lottery for all practical purposes. Even if I'm only half right, you're still way ahead.

Posted:  11/29/2012 3:16 PM #35355
mtnboomer

Last Post: 8/18/2014
Opinions are like @$$h***s, and everybody has one - so here's mine - opinion that is. STAY PUT! The best place to hide is in plain sight - ask any terrorist. Keep what you have and use it to it's maximum potential. You say you have 10 years of equity in your home - use it! Take out an equity loan and buy an acreage further out. If it has a house - great! If not, build a cabin - and by all means, drill a well if no natural source of water is nearby. Use your primary home as your staging area, just keep what you need there and store the rest at location #2. When you no longer have to store supplies at home the neighbors will stop worrying about you, and you about them. So when SHTF all the non-preppers will ransack Wally World and leave you alone.
"I'd love to spit some Beech-Nut in that dude's eyes and shoot 'em with my ol' .45, cuz a country boy can survive!" Hank Williams, Jr.

Support the Second Amendment - Join the NRA http://www.nra.org

Oklahoma State #1 - GO POKES!

Posted:  12/1/2012 5:22 PM #35397
Landravager

Last Post: 12/1/2012
@import url(http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Forums/CuteSoft_Client/CuteEditor/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css); @import url(http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Forums/CuteSoft_Client/CuteEditor/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);
horselips:
As far as the value on my house, yes it has gone up. But it's only doubled. Since I don't have basic water and sewage (I have a well and septic system) and several acres of 'undeveloped' land there hasn't been a market for it except by developers that want to pay next to nothing for it. You made the comment about hitting the lotto, but look at what those people are like in 5-10 years.

mtnboomer:
I agree about opinions, and plan to stay put  until I can get a good deal on a new place. Having a basement, storm shelter and separate root cellar that are not on file anywhere (since I dug them myself) makes hiding out if SHTF a lot easier.

My point of bringing this up in the first place is that it is a type of SHTF situation that most people don't consider. Nosy neighbors a re a threat to security and can't be dismissed by being prepared to just bug-out. It's especially bad if the local LEO and government knows what you are doing and see you as a threat. In this case, outside forces came in a drastically changed the way that I have to plan things out with almost no forewarning.

Posted:  12/1/2012 6:01 PM #35400
mtnboomer

Last Post: 8/18/2014
Landravager,
Let the neighbors be noisy! They will attract more attention and you will remain in the background. Quietly plant fruit trees and berry bushes around your 'undeveloped' land and slowly increase the size of your garden plot every season. Stockpile a large amount of various seed so if SHTF you can start planting big time. As for the LEOs and local gooberment, they are most likely oblivious to what you have and what you're doing. Just remember, when the world goes-to-hell-in-a-handbasket they are going to be more likely to have their collective hands full keeping civil unrest under control, coordinating disaster/aide relief and above all, protecting their own families! Chill out, stay calm, don't get into disputes with the neighbors, stay out of trouble with the law, pay your taxes, always wear clean underwear and you will be - and stay - invisible on the radar!

"I'd love to spit some Beech-Nut in that dude's eyes and shoot 'em with my ol' .45, cuz a country boy can survive!" Hank Williams, Jr.

Support the Second Amendment - Join the NRA http://www.nra.org

Oklahoma State #1 - GO POKES!

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums