You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  11/7/2008 1:17 PM #7228
mosin_nagant_m44_1945

Last Post: 11/20/2008
Subject: mosin nagant 91/30 ex sniper,is it worth unplugging holes?
hey guys, its been a while since i been logged on so here is whats happened. I bought a mosin nagant 1945 m44 and i was VERY pleased with it. after my first time at the range i got to shoot off an AR-15, and then my dad wanted one. so we bought an m4 and made it look really awesome with many many accessories. Now its around Christmas and i want a 91/30. when i bought a mosin nagant i was thinking that all were accurate... but they are up to some degree. the m44 is a great gun but im looking more for a sniper rifle rather than a carbine. so please help if you can. i want a 91/30 from the site jgsales.com and its really cheap, like $80 for an awesome rifle cheap. now i also saw an ex sniper there too. and here is my main question, what should i get? A 91/30 ex sniper? or just a regular 91/30? either way im still going to add a PU scope to them. i am informed on the whole high wall and things but i also wanted to know is it worth buying an ex sniper and unplugging the holes, or even how do you unplug the holes on it? some steps would help and how easy it is might too. thanks in advance

Eddie

Yeah i am 14
Eddie
the 14 year old with a huge obsession with guns

Posted:  11/7/2008 2:33 PM #7227
Blake

Last Post: 3/28/2009
Go to A gunshow and pick up a 91/30 sniper with the PU scope mount already attached. I could have bought one at the gun show last month for $195 w/ an attached optics mount but no scope.
A firearm is only as dangerous as the user wants it to be.

Posted:  11/7/2008 3:38 PM #7226
marco529

Last Post: 11/25/2009
Subject: 91/30
Alots been made of "old russian rifles" but in truth your right they're accurate and reliable ,, just remember to clean the bore very well after firing if you use the surplus stuff , As for the 91-30 itself I got mine many moons ago when they were $57 apiece I left in the closet for alot of years because ammo wasnt readily available then , but a year ago I found a bent "sniper" bolt from SARCO so I got it out and put that and a B-square mount with a BARSKA 3-9x52 scope (I'm cheap) and it works as well as it should out to 500m .
DAMN THE TORPEDOES , FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!

Posted:  11/9/2008 10:45 AM #7224
mosin_nagant_m44_1945

wow i never really thought of going to a gun show, but yeah im looking for a mosin nagant 91/30 with a pu scope on it. im trying to get as close as i can to an old real sniper rifle thanks but i mean any other advise could help too thanks again though

Eddie
Eddie

Posted:  11/9/2008 11:02 AM #7225
mosin_nagant_m44_1945

Subject: mosin nagant 91/30 ex sniper,is it worth unplugging holes?
i also wanted to know where anybody can get a really really really cheap ak-47, ive been looking around and i cant find any at all and im not looking into buying kits
Eddie

Posted:  11/10/2008 12:14 AM #7215
Jeffrey

Last Post: 12/18/2009
I wouldnt pay the price for the sniper rifle sight unseen. You might get a better rifle by self handpicking a 91/30 yourself and a whole lot cheaper. The 91/30 is a far cry more accurate for long range than the m44. I may be wrong but the ones at jgsales looks like standard 91/30's with the sniper scope recently added for $400. If that is the case you would definately be better off hand picking one at store or show ($99-$150) and puting an american scope on it ($49-$200), turning the bolt yourself($49), and installing a synthetic stock($69). I saw one at my local dealer the other day that I swear the barrel looks as it has never been shot($159).
When was the last time you went to the range?

Posted:  11/10/2008 4:34 PM #7222
mosin_nagant_m44_1945

well im not looking for a rifle in good shape, really good shape, or even excelent shape, im lookin for a rifle that would look alot like its been used or like its had a few years beaten into it. and i dont really want the rifle to be a hunting rifle. i want a rifle that would look like it just stepped out of world war 2. i love the caliber and i love the look of the mosin nagant, and i absolutely love sniper rifles. and i really really like the pu scope and dont want an american made scope but thanks for the advice anyways
Eddie

Posted:  11/12/2008 6:16 PM #7220
Jeffrey

Bore condition and action rust should always be a consideraton.

Posted:  11/20/2008 1:58 PM #7246
mosin_nagant_m44_1945

well yeah bore condition and rust is always of concern but basically everything else i want to be a little bad looking. but anyways thanks. i was also looking at buying a mauser now, sorry just a little indecisive. found a cheap one still on jgsales.com and just wanted to know with all you mauser fans out there is a mauser worth it over a mosin sniper?
Eddie

Posted:  11/21/2008 9:58 PM #7252
Jeffrey

Buddy of mine has a swedish mauser in an unfamiliar caliber that had a straight pull bolt. It felt like an 8mm but was 7.5 or such. Very smooth action and was a heckuva straight shooter.

Posted:  1/14/2009 12:44 AM #7093
General Protection Fault

Last Post: 4/10/2009
mosin_nagant_m44_1945-well yeah bore condition and rust is always of concern but basically everything else i want to be a little bad looking. but anyways thanks. i was also looking at buying a mauser now, sorry just a little indecisive. found a cheap one still on jgsales.com and just wanted to know with all you mauser fans out there is a mauser worth it over a mosin sniper?

Well, I love those old Mosin-Nagants - there's a lot of character in those old beasts, and the price for the rifle and its ammo is hard to beat.

However, I would consider my Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser, at only about twice the price of the average Mosin-Nagant 91/30, to definitely be worth paying more for.

I'm used to Soviet military-grade triggers and never really thought anything of the rough, gritty feeling on them until I tried firing the Mauser, and now I would say in an instant that the Mauser has the smoothest, most comfortable trigger of any of the guns I own. The Mauser is also very accurate and comfortable to fire.

I think the typical Mosin-Nagant LOOKS nicer than my Mauser, though: the Mauser's furniture looks rough and weathered, and it is thoroughly oil-stained: it's not a pin-up rifle. In contrast, most of the Mosin-Nagants I've seen have had reasonably nice-looking furniture. But I'll overlook the Mauser's rough, oily woodwork, because the metal components are in virtually new condition, and the workmanship of the metal components is definitely of a very high level of quality. If all M24/47's share the same quality as the one I was lucky enough to have gotten, then I would have to say the Yugo Mauser would have be one of the most spectacular gun bargains around right now!

If only the 8mm Mauser ammo were as cheap and easy to find as the Mosin-Nagant's 7.62x54R ammo... that's my only real complaint about the Mauser. Aside from that, I would think that, in spite of the great price and the ugly-duckling charm of the Mosin-Nagant, most shooters and collectors will be happier with the Mauser. I have a feeling that supplies of Yugo mausers will dry up faster than the supplies of cheap Mosin-Nagants, too, so I might suggest getting a Yugo Mauser while you still can (and then get a 91/30 later on while prices are still this low!)

As for your original question about whether it's better to get one of the 91/30 ex-snipers with the holes filled in, or to get a normal 91/30 and modify it, I guess that would depend on the price. I've never seen a real 91/30 sniper anywhere, but I know you can find post-war 91/30 "snipers" that are really just regular, randomly-selected 91/30's with the scope added on for the collector market; you really aren't going to get a genuine sniper rifle's accuracy from one of these "fake snipers" (as the real sniper rifles were carefully hand-selected from the best 91/30's for exceptional accuracy); you'll end up paying about $300 or so more for these "fake snipers", but I suppose you're actually paying for the scope - I don't recall seeing those scopes anywhere else, so I can only imagine the scopes are expensive and tough to find. I do know that the one example I ever saw at a gun and knife show had a very crisp, clear and easy-to-see picture and crosshair, though, and the scope seems like it would probably be worth the money.

In any event, your cheapest option would be to drill-and-tap a low-end 91/30 for a normal scope, your easiest option would be to buy one of the post-war "fake snipers", a more satisfying option would be to buy an ex-sniper and an original scope separately and then restore the sniper rifle properly to original military specs, while your most expensive option (but perhaps best investment) would probably be to buy a real 91/30 sniper in its original condition from a reputable dealer who would guarantee its authenticity.

If you choose to get an ex-sniper with plugged holes, I imagine you should simply be able to drill out the plugs, and re-tap the holes, if necessary (I don't know for certain, but I can only imagine the plugs are brass or soft steel threaded rods which are screwed into the mounting holes and then sawed off and filed flush.) The plugged rifles are going to be a little more expensive than a regular 91/30, but might be the way to go for a project gun - I really could not bring myself to recommend drilling holes in an otherwise nice example of even a cheap, standard-issue Mosin-Nagant, but if the rifle already had holes drilled into it for the purpose of mounting an original scope, I would probably consider the project more of a restoration, if handled right.

Posted:  1/15/2009 11:19 AM #7115
Ron

Last Post: 5/11/2009
Subject: 91/30
I think you ought to purchase a sniper model and go from there. The sniper model has an offset scope bracket that holds the scope away from the top of the receiver so you can still use a stripper clip to load the firearm. If you don't, and you are set on using a scope, you will have to install a long eye relief model in front of the receiver (too much work) so you won't be stuck loading the weapon one shell at a time (loading port for the stripper clip blocked).
Go with the sniper model.

Posted:  1/17/2009 1:27 PM #7089
General Protection Fault

Last Post: 4/10/2009
For what it's worth, Kalinka Optics Warehouse does carry some genuine PU scope and mount kits for the Mosin-Nagant. I take it these aren't original antiques, but modern scopes made to the same specifications as the originals by the original manufacturer. They cost about 4 or 5 times as much as a standard Mosin-Nagant would, but they should be a perfect match for a sniper that is missing the original scope and has the holes plugged.

According to Kalinka:

Kalinka Optics-These Original PU Sets are not replicas or copies from Asia. They were made by the NPZ Optics Factory, the esteemed enterprise which supplied PU scopes to the Soviet Army in the 30-es and 40-es, during WWII. The original PU Complete Set consists of the , the PU Mosin-Nagant Side Mount for Original PU Rails, and an original PU Mosin-Nagant side rail with the necessary mounting screws. Everything you need for your Mosin-Nagant rifle....

(Incidentally, the price for the Kalinka Optics scope plus a standard off-the-shelf Mosin-Nagant plus the miscellaneous parts and labor for assembly would just about equal the $400 price tag on the "fake snipers" carried by J&;G Sales, so J&;G seems to be charging a fair price for the assembled sniper, assuming their snipers are using the Kalinka PU scope.)

Posted:  11/1/2010 9:48 AM #24412
SamStafford

Last Post: 11/1/2010
I could be wrong, I was told that the holes on the ex-sniper were filled up because they were wore out too much to be sniper condition...but were good enough for reg. shooting. Any truth in this?

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums