You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  8/18/2007 2:38 AM #4702
ElPhoto

Last Post: 8/18/2007
Subject: What exactly does "Parkerized" mean?

Hi.

What exactly does "Parkerized" mean?
Is it a coating process like: Anodized or
Galvanized only for the Military?
Anybody know? Details?

Thanx,

Karl

Karl-Marcel Koenen

Posted:  8/18/2007 4:01 PM #4703
wildmanofwichita

Last Post: 5/13/2010
Forget about the "obsolete" Parkerization. DuraCoat is the ONLY way to go. 8)
"Dissent is the Highest Form of Patriotism." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"Those That OWN the Country, Ought to Govern It" (John Jay, 1st U.S. Supreme Court Justice)

Posted:  8/24/2007 8:16 AM #4708
Jeffrey

Last Post: 12/18/2009
Subject: parkerization
Parkerization has been around for a while now, it is superior to basic bluing as far as scratches and such. It is a matte black non-reflective coating (unlike a shiny blue job). Think of it like a Powder coat finish on truck grill guards instead of chrome or paint. Scratches do rub out pretty easily with oil. Most hunting guns come blue, parkerized, or stainless finishes. This said, DuraCoat is much more durable but guns dont come that way over-the-counter.
When was the last time you went to the range?

Posted:  8/24/2007 8:24 AM #4706
ElPhoto

Last Post: 8/18/2007
Subject: Parkerized?

Thank You Jeffrey.
You've answer my
question.

Bye.

Karl
Karl-Marcel Koenen

Posted:  8/24/2007 10:26 AM #4709
Semper Paratus

Last Post: 5/18/2008
Sorry to butt in, but a buddy of mine has a pistol he wants duracoated, how much does this cost and can he just send the slide away to have it done? any info would be great.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Posted:  8/25/2007 4:04 PM #4710
wildmanofwichita

Subject: What exactly does "Parkerized" mean?
"DuraCoating" guns is not cheap. Pistols are in a range of $150, give or take; rifles are $250, give or take. DuraCoat has their own website. I am just doing the mags. Remember before you venture into this "New" technology, it is permanent; and it takes "Sand Blasting" to remove the DuraCoat finish.

That is why I am ONLY doing the mags...... 8)

"Those That OWN the Country, Ought to Govern It" (John Jay, 1st U.S. Supreme Court Justice)

Posted:  12/6/2007 6:50 PM #4679
tclover

Last Post: 12/6/2007
I do hot salt bluing, parkerizing and coatings,
parkering will out last any duracoat for years to come.
been doing this for 25 yrs plus

Posted:  12/6/2007 7:17 PM #4680
wildmanofwichita

I hate to tell you this, my friend has been in the gun business for over 50 years, he has "Been there, done that" sort of stuff (he is sort of "tutoring" me). DuraCoat is "Good to Go", lasts a lifetime WITHOUT maintenance, and what is really great about storage is that it needs NO COSMOLINE.

Everybody has a preference, mine happens to be DuraCoat.

Do "Parkerized" guns have a life-time warranty on the "finish"?

Blueing, I believe, will eventually become a lost "Art/Science", if it isn't caused because of EPA regulations, it will be because the youngin's do not want to go to that field of enlightenment.

The ONLY reason I can not DuraCoat my pieces is because it would take all the gold in Ft. Knox to accomplish the feat. 8)

My friend, who is doing the mags in ACUPAT and MARPAT DuraCoating, is wondering how many more mags, because he charges $25 a mag (the cheapest price I have found, so far) and when he gets done with one batch, I walk in with another. I figure around 2010 before all the AK mags are done, that is just for one piece; I will probably NEVER get all of my mags, or, pieces done, there is just not enough gold to pay for the cost of all of the hardware to be done, in my lifetime anyway.

I hope that you pass your "knowledge" down, because it is getting ugly out here, and we need NOT lose another "Art/Science" to the government that believes that "they" determine what is taught and what is not taught. 8)

Good luck with your business. 8)

Posted:  12/8/2007 1:27 PM #4683
STELLA

Last Post: 2/15/2007
My local gun shop has an ar15 that is coated with a silverish gray diamond plate look with matching mag, looks awesome. $25 to coat a mag seems like a waste. Don't get me wrong they look great and all but what do you do when the mag becomes unserviceable. Mags are just too tempromental to drop hard earned money on for the sake of stopping a little rust. Clean them up, lightly oil and vacuum seal em. Also have you seen the duracoat paint system that is available for $95. The kit will finish 2-4 rifles and the great part is you can do it at home.

Posted:  12/8/2007 4:50 PM #4684
wildmanofwichita

Do YOU want to pay the electric bill for "DuraCoating" any piece at home? 8 hours in an oven with 220 volt power will make your electric bill look like a mortgage payment. With DuraCoating the mags, I do NOT have to "worry" about "Storage" issues, or other time consuming nuisances. IMO, it is well worth the $25, you'll spend that in electricity with an oven to do the "Finish" process. Especially when I get a LOT of my Mil-Spec surplus for FREE, and FREE IS GOOD! The old "Maxim" is: It is not WHAT you know, BUT, WHO you know.........

I will personally spend LESS TIME, than yourself, by DuraCoating and forgetting the mags; I do not want to be hassled with having to "maintain" them from time to time; especially when I am dealing with over 100 mags, time is not a luxury that I can spare.

It is bad enough doing monthly maintenance and oiling/preservation of the pieces and monthly rotation, add to that, monthly ammo rotation. Give me the DuraCoat, time is money. I know of people who have wasted more money on "Trinkets" (2nd-3rd cars, $10,000 Bass Boats, $15,000 John Deere riding mowers, buying/trading in a car every year and other BS) and sub-par pieces to make what I am doing look CHEAP by comparison. 8)

To each his own; I will stick with what I know works.

Good Luck and Godspeed. 8)

Posted:  12/9/2007 6:52 AM #4682
wytelitening

Last Post: 11/22/2008
W.M.--

I'ma reading what ya saying and listening too, but I have a question 'bout something I may not be understanding. :)

Here it is: Do you rotate the ammo in your mags every month? Just curious as this seems to be a question that surfaces on various talk forums. Some people say that mag springs weaken from being fully loaded, whereas some say that leaving a mag unloaded weakens the spring faster. Then again there are those that will only load a 30 round AK mag with only 15 or 20 rounds, using them first when they go to the range six months down the road.

I do remember a guy saying (can't remember which forum) that he purchased a certain batch of loaded AK mags from several years back and they funtioned flawlessly.

Hope I ain't opening a can-a-worms here, and I know I'm a bit off the original topic, but I sure wish we could get more input and opinions on this.

Redneck, would you please move my post to the proper forum if need be, and give it a title ?--Thx--

I gotta go comb my hair, jeez, I look like I just got outta bed :roll:
With guns we are "citizens"---Without we are "subjects"----

Posted:  12/9/2007 11:30 PM #4681
STELLA

Last Post: 2/15/2007
I'm not saying duracoating is a bad idea, I just think your getting ripped thats all. Like you say time is money but so is the time one sends working to pay for stuff. If one can do it at home far cheaper than a shop can do it than one saves time and money. With the kits out there I could do 8 mags for $100 and only use 1 hour of stove time. As far as storage and maintenance of mags, if your doing that once a month something isn't right. I have mags that have been in storage for years and thier as fine as the day I got them. I not saying you should stop doing what your doing, your an adult, I'm just pointing out that things can be done differently thats all.

Posted:  6/11/2013 9:48 PM #38083
markman007

Last Post: 6/11/2013
I'm sorry but I had too comment. "Obsolete Parkerization"? " DuraCoat is the ONLY way to go" ? WOW! Do you have any idea how many firearms I own that are blued that would be ruined if they were parkerized or had DuraCoat? No, That's just a false statement. They may be technically a superior finish but obsolete and the only way to go? If you take care of something it will last you a lifetime.

Posted:  6/23/2013 7:28 AM #38197
GBMaryland

Last Post: 6/23/2013
Folks, I think the Duracoa and parkerization both have their places, but compared to other options.... For steel... They are really not the BEST option. If you are trying to keep a historical fire arm in similar to original condition, you probably want it parkerized. By far, technologies like salt bath nitriding are superior in every way: the biggest advantage is that the RC of the steel parts come out at about 70. So, not only is the coating almost impervious to normal wear and tear, but the coating does not appear to come off and you get uniform surface hardness of all steel parts... Which prevents wear of those parts when they mechanically are rubbing against each other. Let alone the barrel no longer fouls, and brass / copper are not hard enough to cause wear. I've got several rifle barrels I've done with this process, which includes the inside of the barrel as well. I'm thinking of doing to an M1 Garand to see how it turns out... Where Nitriding is not useful are non-steel metals. I know that it can be done, but I haven't seen it done to non-steel gun parts. Also, because the part comes back so hard, it's actually VERY difficult to cut after it comes back from coating. Cerakote is also useful... Which is similar to Duracoat, while Nitriding is more like bluing or parkerizing / heat treating. The only issues with Nitriding is that it's expensive (to some people) and that the coatings are generally only in black and FDE. I also like Teflon, but not in any sort of environment where it's going to be abused. I have had AR-15 receivers that were duracoated, and it does not hold up as well as cerakoting seems to... I've actually sent some duracoted receivers out to be stripped and cerakoted. These were magnesium alloy AR-15 receivers, and the duracoat came off with a simple soak in Naval Jelly (paint remover).

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums