You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  6/23/2008 8:01 PM #3033
RevTH

Last Post: 10/22/2008
Subject: Mossberg 500 pump Rifled Barrel -- What kind of slugs?
Hi,

I recently purchased a mossberg 500, 20 ga pump action with a field barrel, and a rifled barrel with a cantilever scope. I was told by the salesman that I needed to used saboted slugs in the rifled barrel. They are about $2 a slug. I was wondering if there was anything cheaper I could use -- ordinary, unrifled slugs?

I wanted the gun to use to hunt in my woods, which contain a lot of brush I need to bust through. So the slug and the scope combo is great. I just wish the ammo was cheaper so I could enjoy target shooting and get to know the gun a bit better before I take it on a hunt.

I just want to make sure not to damage the rifled barrel. Also, I saw elsewhere on these forums that birdshot won't damage a rifled barrel. Is that true? If so that's good news, because I think I'd need to re-sight the scope every time I change out the barrel.

Thanks for your help.

Posted:  6/24/2008 7:00 AM #3032
RendonRedneck

Last Post: 4/30/2009
With the rifled barrel you do need to use saboted slugs, regular slug won't shoot accurately. Using bird shot in a rifled barrel will be fine, you just don't want to do it a lot as it will fowl the rifling over time but there is going to be very little if any accuracy out of bird shot in a rifled barrel.
I work to support my outdoor habit
Aaron
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
Trained Gunsmith
According to wife outdoor and computer nut
I support the Bill of Rights
RendonRendneck@dovesoutdoors.com

Posted:  6/24/2008 11:55 AM #3034
wildmanofwichita

Last Post: 5/13/2010
Rav,

May I humbly ask a really some dumb questions? WHY do you need to "Bust" through brush? What is your "Objective"? Why a 20 gauge? IMHO, you should have went ahead and got a 12 gauge. I have NEVER paid any attention to types of barrels; you're running a Moss, it will digest just about anything you want to feed it.

I was asking of these things because I did not know "brush" would be an issue, unless you are attempting to shoot thru the brush?????

I still have my "Cruiser" and "Persuader" models in storage after getting my 590A1.

By what YOU have asked, I would use nothing but Hornady's SST's, but I do NOT know if they make 'em for the 20 gauge......... 8) :?
"Dissent is the Highest Form of Patriotism." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"Those That OWN the Country, Ought to Govern It" (John Jay, 1st U.S. Supreme Court Justice)

Posted:  10/22/2008 10:39 AM #3069
RevTH

Last Post: 10/22/2008
Wild Man,

I hunt on my own property which is exclusively woods. Lots of trees and bushes and things that can divert a high-speed/high power rifle bullet. I'm a pretty good shot in practice, if I do say so myself, but last year I missed an entire deer from only 60 yards. I'm pretty convinced my bullet was deflected. Seriously, I'm a decent shot, and I did not have "buck fever."

So I got the mossberg, in the hopes that the bullet will survive any little twigs it may encounter. My main question is really, can I shoot a rifled slug in my rifled barrel, without ruining the barrel? The sabots are too rich for my blood. I've spent $30 (ten rounds) and I'm still not sighted in to satisfaction. So I'd rather go with cheaper ammo, learn how it shoots and compensate accordingly. I'm just concerned about ruining my rifled barrel.

Thanks,

Rev

Posted:  10/22/2008 3:10 PM #3054
bapa

Last Post: 4/29/2009
RevTH-Wild Man,

I hunt on my own property which is exclusively woods. Lots of trees and bushes and things that can divert a high-speed/high power rifle bullet. I'm a pretty good shot in practice, if I do say so myself, but last year I missed an entire deer from only 60 yards. I'm pretty convinced my bullet was deflected. Seriously, I'm a decent shot, and I did not have "buck fever."

So I got the mossberg, in the hopes that the bullet will survive any little twigs it may encounter. My main question is really, can I shoot a rifled slug in my rifled barrel, without ruining the barrel? The sabots are too rich for my blood. I've spent $30 (ten rounds) and I'm still not sighted in to satisfaction. So I'd rather go with cheaper ammo, learn how it shoots and compensate accordingly. I'm just concerned about ruining my rifled barrel.

Thanks,

Rev

Whoa there fella. You have a much larger problem than the type of ammo you are using if you have fired 10 rounds and still aren't sighted in. By reading you previous posts I get the impression that you have a scope on your slug gun correct? Assuming I am, please let me know what you have done to "sight it in" and we'll go from there. It should never take more than 3 or 4 shots to get dialed in with a scope. If you are getting stray rounds after 5 shots something is wrong in your technique or something is wrong with your equipment. That 20 ga should have no problem hitting a 6 inch balloon every shot at 100 yds. If you can do that every single shot, then it is ready to hunt with out to 100 yds not before.

As for the type of slugs you use, you have no choice, you have to use a sabot with a rifled barrel to get any kind of consistant pattern. The rifled bore puts the spin onto the sabot covered projectile as it travels down the barrel. But if you use a rifled slug with a rifled barrel you'll either over spin it or counter spin it. I've watched a guy do that and he swore up and down that each shot using the rifled slug got better out of the rifled barrel. Actually, it was true since the massive fouling quickly turned his rifled barrel into a smooth bore which made the rifled slug more efficient. Care to guess what happened when he cleaned the gun?

Here is a great tutorial on how to sight in your scope. The technique is the same for a rifle as it is for a shotgun scope.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight-in_rifle.htm

btw...Remington Buckhammer Ammunition 20 Gauge 2-3/4" 1 oz Lead Sabot Slug Box of 5 is only 7 bucks at my Wal-Mart. What are you shooting that costs 30 bucks for 10 shots?
NAHC Life Member
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday

Posted:  1/28/2012 3:33 PM #30121
mrheartman

Last Post: 1/28/2012
 Great reply , you answered my question.. I have a Mossberg 500 A, 12 ga. pump w/ a 24" rifled barrel & 3x9 scope w/2 3/4" & 3" shells , gun is new to me . I would like to site it in & mainly use it for security reasons . I picked up 2 3/4 , 1 oz , MAX , DR EQ   Slugger slugs . I read the box & it says not to use in damascus or twist steel barrels .My understanding is to use the 1 oz sabot slug . If I were to use buckshot on occasion , what would be the recommended shot to use ? I presently have 2 3/4 , 1oz , 7 1/2 shot . Any info or sites would be greatly appreciated .            ;

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums