You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  10/8/2012 8:58 PM #34506
rusty shackleford

Last Post: 12/31/2013
Subject: Bolt Polishing, rear sight removal.
I am currently working on my mosin nagant m91/30 and I wanted some advice. I would like to polish all of the visable surfaces on my mosin's bolt, but am unsure as to what the best way to do this would be and Im afraid that if I just go at it with sand paper that I might hurt it. Im really going for that brand new bolt look, or if anyone knows of a company that makes and sells new mosin bolts I would appreciate that as well.

Secondly, I am attempting to remove the rear sight on my mosin so that I can put a scope mount on it, but the pins have been hammered flat, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be possible to drill this without a drill press because I dont have one and dont wish to pay to have it done.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this, as I have already removed the sight arm on the rear sight of the mosin so I doubt the iron sights are any good now that the leaf spring has been removed.
ssssha shaw pocket sand!

Posted:  10/9/2012 8:47 AM #34519
gundog94

Last Post: 4/14/2014
A buffing wheel with polishing compound on it will make quick work of the bolt. There are also Dremel polishing tools available. If you don't have either one of those, good ol hand polishing with a cloth would do it. You can drill a pin by hand. Make a dimple in the pin with a center punch and using a sharp bit, drill slowly with oil. You will only need to drill enough to remove the flattened out part. Securing the rifle in a vice will make drilling much easier.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

CTD Moderator

Posted:  10/12/2012 10:13 AM #34579
rusty shackleford

Last Post: 12/31/2013
I have already tried drilling it, the things are in there so tight I think I may just have to take it to a gunsmith. Ive bent 3 punches and I dont know how many center punches trying to get the darn things out.
ssssha shaw pocket sand!

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums