You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
advanced

Posted:  4/12/2009 12:47 AM #15433
RMC

Last Post: 4/13/2009
Subject: THIS!!! was inside my SKS trigger group ?????? help
Okay I was cleaning this recently acquired toy and was taking the trigger assembly out and THIS piece was sitting inside the stock and i assume it came from somewhere around the back of the trigger assembly. I have no idea what it is OR how to put it back in !

NEVER seen this in any SKS I've owned before!

Please help

Posted:  4/12/2009 6:44 AM #15432
lmc8541

Last Post: 9/6/2009
i'm not sure what it is, but I am sure that it is not part of the trigger group.

Posted:  4/12/2009 9:50 AM #15427
General Protection Fault

Last Post: 4/10/2009
I'm thinking it doesn't look like a normal SKS part, either. Unless it's part of some sort of fancy aftermarket trigger, I'm also inclined to think it's not part of your trigger.

It doesn't look like part of the bolt assembly or anything, either.

I'm inclined to say it might be something that fell into the rifle and got stuck sometime over the years, so that it might be anything from a piece of junk from Bubba's garage or truck bed, to part of an aftermarket folding stock or match trigger, to part of the crate the rifles were shipped from Yugoslavia in - for some reason, the item looks familiar to me, but if so I think it's something I've seen outside the context of a rifle.

But then again what you might have could be part of the tools that machine or assemble the rifle (if so, that could be cool.) I'm also thinking it's possible this was something that was stored inside the stock by a soldier or armorer - I've heard rumors about ammunition, special tools, and other items being found inside SKS stocks. Does anyone know if this item might be part of a blank-firing device or sight adjustment tool?

Where exactly in the stock was this item, again?

Which type of SKS was it?

I do have a Russian and a Yugo SKS, and I'll check to see if I can spot anything like it there.

Posted:  4/12/2009 11:00 AM #15428
General Protection Fault

OK, I just disassembled and re-assembled my Yugo SKS, and I haven't seen anything like that. I've not eliminated every possibility that it's a standard SKS part, but I can tell you what that isn't:

It's not part of any Yugo military trigger assembly I've ever seen.

It's not part of the Yugo bolt assembly or bolt carrier.

It's not part of the receiver or receiver cover.

It's not part of piston or push rod.

It's not part of the gas block or gas system.

It's not part of the grenade launcher ladder sights, front or rear sight blocks, grenade launcher tube, bayonet or bayonet lug.

It's not part of the barrel, trunnions, or feed ramp.

It's not part of a standard cleaning kit or magazine.

I haven't eliminated the wooden stock assembly - I've put the original wooden stock away somewhere safe, and don't have access to it right now. If it is part of the stock, I would consider the possibility that it's what the cleaning rod would screw into - there does seem to be more than one threaded hole; does the cleaning rod fit into them? (I'm sure the cleaning rods are screwed into something in the stock of the Mosin-Nagant and other Russian rifles, but I can't remember at the moment if the same is true for an SKS.)

I'm going to check the Russian SKS next.

Posted:  4/12/2009 11:41 AM #15429
General Protection Fault

I just finished re-assembling my all-original Russian SKS (1953 Tula), and I still haven't seen anything like the part in the photograph.

It's not part of the Russian trigger assembly, bolt assembly or bolt carrier, receiver or barrel, sights or gas system, stock, cleaning kit, bayonet, magazine, cleaning kit, or stock.

The Russian SKS (and, I believe, the Yugo) does not have any such threaded metal part I imagined the cleaning rod screwing into - the cleaning rod is held in place with tension from the folding bayonet. (That does not discount the possibility that such a threaded metal part might exist on a Chinese sporter with no bayonet, however.)

Whatever it is in that photograph, however, I don't think it's part of any stock military Russian or Yugoslavian SKS, and probably not part of any military Chinese SKS.

Posted:  4/13/2009 1:39 AM #15430
Jeffrey

Last Post: 12/18/2009
It looks like an adjustable after-market overtravel stop.
When was the last time you went to the range?

Posted:  4/13/2009 7:27 AM #15426
General Protection Fault

Jeffrey-It looks like an adjustable after-market overtravel stop.

I think Jeffrey might be onto something there. I've never seen such a thing before, but the object in your photos does appear to be adjustable in some way, by your description it was installed in the trigger assembly, and I can easily see someone being concerned about SKS trigger over-travel to the point of having one installed.

Posted:  4/13/2009 4:20 PM #15519
RMC

More specifically I found the part when the gun was upside down and I removed the trigger assemblely is standard fashion for an SKS. the piece was in the stock (it's a fiber force) staring up at me!

Posted:  4/13/2009 4:22 PM #15521
RMC

Thanks for looking so hard general protection fault!!!

RMC

Posted:  4/13/2009 4:24 PM #15523
RMC

Jeffery,

That's kinda what I was thinking too, but i can't even find one ANYWHERE on the net for an sks.... so is this one off???? And yes all three allen heads are adjustable. BUT if that is what it is.... I have no clue how to put it back to working order in the gun for even where it would engage and what not!

Posted:  4/13/2009 8:11 PM #15534
General_Protection_Fault

Last Post: 12/1/2012
No problem.

I've seen a lot of accessories for the SKS over the last 15 years or so, but I don't remember seeing a trigger stop specifically for the SKS. The Fiberforce stock strongly suggests that the rifle has been souped up from it's original configuration, so if it is a trigger stop, I'm inclined to say that it must have been something MacGyver'ed up for that specific SKS - maybe it started life as an aftermarket part for a different rifle or as a generic one-size-fits-any-rifle item, or maybe it's even home-made.

I take it there's nothing written on that part, not even, say, "Made in China" or something?

I've never seen anything like this actually installed in a trigger, so I don't really know how it would work.

Normally, I'd be tempted to say "just re-assemble the rifle without it", but if Bubba performed a botched trigger job on that SKS, that gadget might be the only thing between you and a disaster. You might take the rifle to a gunsmith to make sure the trigger is in good working condition, and if it is, then I'm sure you'll be alright without it. (For what it's worth, BuyMilSurp has some original parts, probably Yugoslavian, for the SKS trigger assembly which can be used to replace worn or damaged parts, if it turns out that gadget was installed to compensate for a trigger problem.)

CTD's Curio & Relic Forum
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/forums/topics.aspx?forumID=27

Posted:  6/3/2009 7:49 PM #16896
woodcutter

Last Post: 9/13/2009
Some sort of shim?

Posted:  6/4/2009 7:17 PM #16924
marco529

Last Post: 11/25/2009
I know what that is , you might want to throw it away and pretend you never saw it ! It's a very custom made shim to keep the sear positioned in the right place , ie. to make it full auto . Personally I'd get another trigger group as the lil nub under the hammer has more than likely been ground off.
DAMN THE TORPEDOES , FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!

Posted:  6/9/2009 12:02 PM #17004
General_Protection_Fault

Last Post: 12/1/2012
I hope Marco's wrong about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's right, and I agree completely with his advice:  leave that thing out of the rifle, and replace the trigger group for good measure; I would also want to be sure a gunsmith checks things over carefully to make sure there are no other surprises.

The replacement trigger group shouldn't be too expensive, and the original should still have some good spare parts (springs, pins, and that sort of thing) if you ever need them again.

There are people who sell legitimate full-auto weapons, and if you are interested in owning one there's a "full-auto / class III" forum here somewhere where you can learn more.  A transferable machine gun is more expensive than Bubba's SKS and requires a little more paperwork to own, but in the long run it will be cheaper and less of a hassle than the fines and trouble the BATFE will bring your way if they even think you've manufactured or purchased a machinegun without their OK.
CTD's Curio & Relic Forum
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/forums/topics.aspx?forumID=27

Jump to:

CheaperThanDirtForums