You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  4/26/2013 9:38 AM #37513
CTD Blogger

Last Post: 8/20/2014
Subject: A Question Of Privacy
From SHTFblog - are YOU ready? Here’s a question that’s been going round and round in my head ever since the Boston Marathon Bombing.  The brothers were eventually found through various means, but one of the the big ones that helped identify them were video cameras that are now pervasive in most cities. I for one don’t particularly care for the fact that every time I go somewhere I’m being videoed, or photographed, or watched, or whatever, but in some cases it does come in handy for catching the perpetrators of these big crimes.  And it’s not only surveillance and security cameras that capture us, but it seems like everybody in the world has a cell phone capable of capturing images and videos these days.  Hell, they even have cameras built into sunglasses now.

This can work for us as when someone is pulled over by a cop who abuses their authority.  I have no problems with a law enforcement office doing his or her job in a professional manner, but when they start getting all power crazy then it’s good to be able to capture it on film and let the proper authorities deal with it.  (When they’re being abusive for example.)

Or it can work against us because we’re constantly on camera these days.  You can’t go to the grocery store for a gallon of milk and pick your nose because some one is going to see it.  From what I understand it’s even worse in Europe.  Some cities over there can literally track your every step as soon as you get off the train.  Scary eh?

So my questions for you today are:

1.  Is it a good thing that we’re under constant surveillance these days?

2.  Do you feel safer because of it?

3.  What do you feel you’re giving up by having cameras on you all the time?  Isn’t it good that the authorities have a way to track the bad guys quickly and efficiently?

How about it?  Questions?  Comments?

Sound off below!

-Jarhead Survivor

Posted:  4/26/2013 4:09 PM #37520
horselips

Last Post: 9/30/2014
"The issue is never the issue, the issue is the revolution." -Saul Alinsky
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." -Tacitus

To fully comprehend the situation, one must look beyond the plethora of cameras, and observe the circumstances that led to it. The issue is not the cameras, the issue is the obvious decline in the quality of our culture. The more corrupt the people become, the more surveillance they require. And it's not just cameras, it's the intrusive surveillance and interference into everything we do. Where there aren't any cameras, there will be drones. Every email, every Internet search, every phone call, everything mailed or shipped, may be intercepted and closely scrutinized. Take a plane ride and even your entire body is scanned. Bones, organs and all. especially THOSE organs. Who could resist? But don't criticize the T.S.A., after all, without them, ugly people would never get felt up. The closing argument is, because we're technically still in a war with terrorism that the President said was over (???), this all-encompassing invasion of privacy is entirely reasonable, and thus outside the protections offered by the Fourth Amendment.

Sixty years ago, we were a well-behaved reasonably decent people. Our civilization was flawed for sure, but at least there was an invisible blanket of restraint over the culture as a whole. Credit what you will - a strong, stable and growing economy, Cold-War patriotism, strong Judeo-Christian values, at-home moms and good parenting skills, generally intact families, good schools, whatever, it seemed to be working. Then came the sexual revolution (Thank God), widespread use of recreational drugs, the Vietnam War, Watergate, and an endless series of subsequent scandals affecting and corroding every secular and religious pillar of society. Rationalizations and apologetics aside, the foundation is rotting, the structure begins to fall.

The natives are restless, the inmates are running the asylum. Good is bad, evil is good, the world is bassackwards. Traditional values and historical heroes are denigrated, as is every institution connected with them. Distrust, scorn, and deliberate disobedience are the now the norm. Welcome to progressive liberalism. Historians will call it "decline." We all know what comes after "decline," and nobody wants another Dark Ages. Well, with my faith in everything (except myself) shattered, I don't trust anyone else anymore than anyone else trusts me, and so I have to answer "yes," I feel  safer knowing that Big Brother is watching. Not watching me, but watching YOU. I'm not a thug or a bomber, but YOU might be, and I want YOU watched. Closely. Completely. For MY sake. When self-restraint fails, institutionalized fear is the only viable security option.

The ancient Greek who advised "moderation in all things" was wise, and his admonition has stood the test of time. At some point, it doesn't matter what we do or don't do, nothing lasts forever, it all comes undone, and the road to Hell, now a 20 lane super highway, is paved and striped once again with good intentions. This time, with ours. Police states are among history's shortest lived government models, they tend to quickly collapse under the crushing burden of their own immoderate financial and manpower weight, soon becoming as corrupt and dangerous as the degenerate culture they were created to keep a lid on. Curiously, the opposite takes place within the culture. Under the relentless pressure of the police state, the people tend to reform. The "observed" re-acquire their virtues and values just as the "observers" are losing theirs. Fortunately, history repeats itself. Soon, out come the "V For Vendetta" Gay Fawkes masks, and the solution to 1984 is, once again, 1776. Enjoy.  

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums