You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  10/5/2012 6:43 PM #34465
Under DeGun

Last Post: 1/6/2014
Subject: Open Carry - Yes Sir!
I am a firm advocate of open carry. I cannot be talked out of it. I am also a firm advocate of the truth contained in the fact that the operative word in Concealed Carry is NOT "carry." They both go hand in hand as far as I am concerned. Now how could this be; you may ask? Very simple. It comes solely down to tactical advantage for I could care not a gnats fart for whether someone else is scared, offended, or feels threatened.

1st, the advantage TO ME of open carry: My advantage will rest in that I am NOT carrying in the open. But if someone else is - that is MY advantage. (I know some of you see this coming like a rushing train - hang on to let the others "hear the whistle.") How can someone who is carrying openly be an advantage to me? Everyone will be paying attention to them because of that "hawgleg" on their hip. Plus, if the SHTF, they (not me) become the primary (first) target of choice, Think like a real evil/crazy bad guy. There is a crowd of people you want to execute. One is carrying a gun. The rest appears harmless (unarmed). Would it not make sense to saunter up behind "Marshal Dillion" and give him the "Wild Bill Hickok Smack Down"? When that happens then guess who gets the "early warning" of the SHTF - me. "Thanks open-carry guy. I will sing your praises for "warning" me at the dear cost of your life."

2nd, "The operative word in Concealed Carry is CONCEALED": Whether or not I get the early warning provided by Mr. Open Carry, I will have an inherent tactical advantage in my own situation. (Oh, I should probably define my definition of the word concealed. It doesn't mean simply hidden from view. It means secured/carried in such a manner that it cannot be detected except by mechanical means (touch, metal detector, X-ray), AND it cannot be exposed to detection in any accidental manner; to include falling down a flight of stairs, hurricane winds, bending, lifting, etc. - short of something striping my clothes off (sorry - that wouldn't be a pretty picture these days!) With this "advantage" I hold a "weapon" that every general, every soldier, every warrior, and every gamesman has cultivated throughout history up to today. That "weapon" is... SURPRISE. My definition implicitly incorporates not only physical concealment but also concealment from unnecessary mental awareness. The military has a term for this. It is called OPSEC (look it up). Spies and governments simply call it "need to know."

The old saying goes, "What they don't know can't hurt them." Aside from the logical fallacy of this statement, clearly the obverse of this "coin" IS a Truth -- what other people know CAN HURT ME. Not just the "bad guy," but the innocents as well. The "bad guy" is obvious. However, what isn't so manifest is if something bad goes down and someone knows I am armed, THEY can make a motion, statement, declaration that can place ME at an outstanding disadvantage and, in the blink of an eye, completely strip away both serious tools my survival (and theirs) may depend on. That being the element of surprise AND my firearm. Call it OPSEC, "need to know," or just plain and simple "secret," it is important not to share the fact that you are carrying a firearm except with those who truly do "need to know." And any person who does know you are carrying needs to be coached in how to react in a SHTF situation so as not to put the person "carrying" in a severe tactical bind - the ins-and-outs of that subject retained for a post of its own.

So, it all comes down to what advantage "open carry" has over "concealed carry." For me? Both are wonderful and advantageous. And, always be grateful that we live in one of the only countries in a world where this debate is NOT simply academic! Cheers to all of you.  

~GUN CONTROL: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.
~EVIL: "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums