You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  1/2/2009 8:18 PM #12536
General Protection Fault

Last Post: 4/10/2009
Subject: Mosin-Nagant M44 + ATI Stock (Photos)
Blake-Hey GPF, does that M44 w/ the ATI stock still have the bayonet attached or did you take it off? If so could you post some pics of it I'd like to see how it looks.

(Please forgive my poor photography skills and the low quality of this camera - the photo doesn't really do justice to the rifles. I got myself a new camera for Christmas, so I'll try to get a couple of clearer photographs to replace this one with pretty soon.)

Here are my Mosin-Nagants, including an M44 with the ATI stock, and yes, the folding bayonet is still attached. It is not very visible in this photo, but the bayonet folds just over the top edge of the stock, with the stock actually fitting perfectly in the lower, inside groove the the cruciform bayonet.

I know there were some complaints in the customer reviews for the stock, about how much fitting was required, but mine snapped right onto the rifle - the only alterations I made was to sand down the "flashing" seam from the manufacturing process. Considering the nature of a one-size-fits-all stock designed for a rifle that was mass-manufactured under fairly primitive conditions, I guess it would be unfair to expect a perfect fit at all, but the stock seems to fit beautifully on my M44.

I didn't have to remove the bayonet to install the stock, although removing the bayonet might possibly have made getting the iron bands that held the original wooden stock off the rifle easier: removing those bands was the hard part of the installation. I suppose you could simply Dremel through the bands, but I didn't want to destroy them. I started to remove the bayonet, but that hinge screw/bolt was locked in there TIGHT and did not budge at all (and I didn't want to lose the bayonet for aesthetic reasons, anyway.) In the end, I had to open the bands up and stretch them just enough to get past the barrel, because they sure weren't going to slide off past the bayonet lug; that made a job I would otherwise consider "beginner-easy" a bit tougher - perhaps more like "determined and stubborn beginner-easy".

Aside from the barrel band issue, however, installation was easy: it was a matter of simply removing two screws from the rifle, lifting the barrel/receiver assembly out of the original stock, firmly snapping the assembly into the new stock, and tightening the screws back down.

Having two M44's in the same photo, one with the aftermarket stock and one without, might help give a before-and-after comparison, while the longer 91/30 might also be of interest to anyone interested in comparing it to the m44.

My impressions of the ATI stock:
Comfort: a big improvement over the original - I still haven't fired the gun since installation so I don't know yet about what the new stock will do for recoil, but shouldering the weapon now feels more natural and comfortable. The rifle comes with a rubber buttpad installed, which I think should only enhance the comfort of this stock.

Appearance: a big improvement - I was surprised how nice the stock looked on the rifle - I wasn't expecting very much from a fairly low-end plastic stock. Aside from that, however, the result is a bit strange in the case of the M44: the rifle now looks a lot like a fairly generic hunting rifle, aside from the Mosin's distinctive magazine and safety, and especially the bayonet, which gives the rifle a very strange appearance (not a bad thing, just strange!)

Weight: this stock feels a little heavier than the original, but it's still manageable. (Perhaps this may help against the M44's infamously rough recoil.) The stock comes with two sling swivel studs, and it was easy to install a cheap quick-detach sling, which made the heavier rifle feel surprisingly lighter when carried from the shoulder (as compared to the original canvas "dog collar" sling).

Installation: easy for a Beginner (up to "not too hard for a determined and stubborn beginner", depending on the rifle) - the M44's folding bayonet made installation a little tougher than it could have been, but I magaine beginner modders with most other Russian round-receiver Mosin-Nagant varients may find installation to be one of the easiest modifications to make.

Fit and finish: better than I expected, especially based on some customer reviews. The result looks reasonably good, and the assembly feels very solid. There were a couple of tiny gaps between the barrel and the stock, but I'm sure a basic "glassbed" project would fix that and make the whole installation rock-solid.

Conclusion: I was pleased with the results, and I do not feel at all like I got anything less than what I paid for. This is the third ATI stock or stock set I've installed (including a Dragunov-style SKS stock and a top-folding pump shotgun stock set), and this was the easiest and best-looking of the three.

EDIT:
Adding these photos:

Posted:  1/14/2009 12:03 AM #12555
General Protection Fault

I just wanted to add that, at the time I wrote the article above and posted the photos, I still hadn't had a chance to actually fire the rifle. I finally got around to doing so recently, and wanted to add my observations from that:

First, this rifle is never going to be mistaken for a .22LR - it's loud, it breaths fire, it blasts up clouds of dust, leaves, and debris in front if it with every shot, and it definitely has a good, solid kick to it that the new stock did not eliminate completely.

However, I think it definitely took the edge of the rifle's original kick - firing the rifle is actually an almost pleasant experience now. I don't know if it's because of the shape or length of the stock, the difference in the rifle's weight, the rubber buttpad, a placebo effect, or some other factor, but I'm pretty sure I can fire perhaps a hundred rounds or so from this rifle now before I start feeling sore.

I consider the M44 + ATI stock combination to be a winner - I have almost no complaints at all about the modification or its results!

Posted:  1/15/2009 11:06 AM #12531
SithLord

Last Post: 4/4/2009
Thx for the review - you've got some nice one's there.
"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense". President John Adams.

Posted:  1/15/2009 6:36 PM #12529
General Protection Fault

And thank you for the feedback, SithLord. I had a lot of fun modifying the rifle, and then writing the review :)

It's hard to call one of those old monstrosities beautiful, and these are really just average examples of the Mosin-Nagant, but I have a soft spot for them - they're the only guns in my collection with nick-names ("the blunderbusses", "the beasts", "the shoulder-busters", "those old monstrosities", and so on!) Whenever I go out shooting, I bring one of them along, even when I know I'll regret having to clean them afterward.

I can rave all I want about how they're "an opportunity to own a 70-year-old piece of Cold War history" or "they're a great deal at this price" and so on, but there is really only one explanation that makes sense for why I've got three of these rifles and would happily buy more: it must be an addiction, caused by those sneaky commies putting something similar to crack in the cosmoline....

Posted:  1/15/2009 10:34 PM #12528
Blake

Last Post: 3/28/2009
Thanks for all the info, pics and that great review GPF! I might just have to order my self one of these stocks :wink: .
A firearm is only as dangerous as the user wants it to be.

Posted:  1/16/2009 8:32 PM #12554
General Protection Fault

Not a problem, Blake. I hope it answered your question about the bayonet 8)

Posted:  1/16/2009 9:14 PM #12553
Blake

Last Post: 3/28/2009
Yes it did, and very well too.
A firearm is only as dangerous as the user wants it to be.

Posted:  1/17/2009 9:49 AM #12549
Jeffrey

Last Post: 12/18/2009
I have been told that removing the bayonet can wreck hell with its accuracy. Dont know first hand if its true, but I trust the guy that told me so.
When was the last time you went to the range?

Posted:  1/17/2009 11:23 AM #12545
General Protection Fault

Jeffrey-I have been told that removing the bayonet can wreck hell with its accuracy. Dont know first hand if its true, but I trust the guy that told me so.

I didn't want to remove the bayonet because I think it gives the rifle an interesting appearance and, as a result, I sure didn't argue when it resisted my attempt to temporarily remove it to get the stock bands off. But if that accuracy thing is true, I can add a good, practical reason not to remove the bayonet to my more impractical reasons of aesthetics and good, old-fashioned hillbilly laziness :)

For what it's worth, I've read somewhere that the Mosin-Nagant 91/30's were intended to be fired with the bayonets in place, and that they're more accurate with the bayonets on. I, too, consider that source reliable while also not being able to speak from experience: not having the detachable bayonet in place may hurt accuracy, but my 91/30 seems plenty accurate for me without the bayonet, and I can't test the accuracy at any great range, because I'm really not that good a shot and I'm practically blind as a bat. I'm certain that my poor eyes aren't going to allow me to see the target at the ranges where the bayonet will start making a difference, even if I could hit the target.

Those of us with younger, healthier eyes could probably clear this up for certain, and I'll be happy to hear from anyone who could describe real results clarifying the issue!

Posted:  10/27/2010 2:14 PM #24372
SamStafford

Last Post: 11/1/2010
That is the stock that I was thinking about putting on my M44. Thanks so much for posting up your pictures.

BTW, I bought my M44 with out a bayonet on it and when I shoot it, it shoots pretty good. I think the guy who had it before me might have moved the front sight some. I have heard about the bayonets on the M44 must be sticking out or you will get poor shots.

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums