You are not logged in. Log In |  Register New Search
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  12/9/2013 10:53 AM #39901
CTD Poll

Last Post: 7/2/2014
Subject: From Gunssavelives.net: Poll: Should Non-Violent Felons Be Allowed to Own Guns?
Poll: Gunssavelives.net Poll: Should Non-Violent Felons Be Allowed to Own Guns?

Yes   67%
 22   Votes
  No   33%
 11   Votes

Total Votes:  33

From Gunssavelives.net: As our judicial system currently stands, when you are convicted of a felony, you give up certain rights. It doesn’t matter if the felony was a victimless crime or a violent crime. Our poll for today deals with the rights of non-violent felons. When voting keep in mind, we are talking about non-violent crimes here. Maybe someone got lost driving through Virginia and accidentally entered Washington DC with an otherwise legal handgun in their car and gets pulled over. Maybe someone had a felony amount of marijuana for personal use in their college dorm room, but hasn’t been in trouble in 20 years since.

Maybe someone didn’t pay their taxes.

Whatever the scenario, we’re talking people with no history of violence here.

Do you feel that people convicted of such crimes should have their right to own a firearm restored upon finishing their sentences?

Note, poll is not scientific and may not update in real time.

Whether your answer is Yes or No, feel free to let us know your thoughts in the comments area below.

http://gunssavelives.net/polls/poll-should-non-violent-felons-be-allowed-to-own-guns/

Posted:  12/9/2013 5:43 PM #39907
horselips

Last Post: 9/30/2014
So what if the felon commits a non-violent crime. The reason it's a felony is it indicates a serious character flaw - the arrogant willingness to deliberately break the law. Non-violent offenders may easily graduate to violent crimes as long as that character flaw influences their life choices. If the non-violent offender is truly rehabilitated after his incarceration, let him demonstrate his conformity over time, and after a long record of good behavior has been established, the felon may apply for restoration of his rights. Until that is granted, let him be unarmed.

Posted:  12/10/2013 12:55 PM #39916
mtnboomer

Last Post: 8/18/2014
Just because there was no "violence" doesn't mean there wasn't any "harm" done. Look at all the scammers bilking money from elderly people for their own gain. The theives that steal precious, irreplaceable momentos of other people's lives. That, and a thousand other perpetrated wrongs, are all harmful in their own ways. Yes, let those freed felons have to prove themselves worthy of gun ownership through long and respectable service to their community, state and country.
"I'd love to spit some Beech-Nut in that dude's eyes and shoot 'em with my ol' .45, cuz a country boy can survive!" Hank Williams, Jr.

Support the Second Amendment - Join the NRA http://www.nra.org

Oklahoma State #1 - GO POKES!

Posted:  12/16/2013 9:06 PM #39979
Kull

Last Post: 8/13/2014
I think once they finish their sentence they should be able to get their rights back. There are plenty of people who shouldn't be denied their right to defend themselves after they've paid the price for their indiscretions.Let's be real, the right of self protection is a basic right that should be restored after paying your price to society.

Posted:  12/17/2013 1:10 AM #39980
horselips

Kull, I agree with you in principle, however the devil is in the details. In this case, the details involve the whole sentence a felon receives for his crime. That whole sentence usually includes a time in the custody of the state, followed by a period of parole, perhaps a fine, and, the lifetime forfeiture of certain civil rights and opportunities. In some states, that means the right to vote, to hold state-issued licenses to engage in certain professions like real estate, insurance, nursing, banking, gambling, to sell alcohol, and last but not least, the right to keep and bear arms. It is also part of the punishment that a felon have a criminal record which may be cause for him to be discriminated against in housing, establishing credit, and employment. Depending on the nature of his crime, he may even lose his eligibility for certain federal benefits such as free medical care (Medicaid) and Food Stamps for specified lengths of time. To say it's over after the felon has "served his time" is to misunderstand the big picture of what a felony conviction means. Simply serving his time was never meant to be the beginning and end of a felon's debt to society, perhaps no more than a minor part of it.

Posted:  12/17/2013 9:46 PM #39996
horselips

OH - one more rather serious penalty for conviction of any felony - just try to travel overseas. Try to get a Visa, or permission to enter practically any other country. Not gonna happen.

Posted:  12/21/2013 10:42 AM #40051
thefixr

Last Post: 12/21/2013
There will never be a perfect system for separating the wheat from the chaff when it comes to sorting out felons and their reentry into normal citizen's rights. Barring some sort of refinement of the judicial system, you'd have to judge each on an individual basis in order to not miss the dangerous ones. The system is so overcrowded now, there couldn't possibly enough personnel to take on this new job. So, it's wonderfully ideal to say let them have the right back, up until one of them, and there will be one of them, abuses the right and makes it bad for the deserving. Again. Not to mention the same debate we'll all be doing about the mental health issue. You think it's slippery to pull apart rehabbed criminals from non? Wait until you try finding out who's sane again and who isn't. Good luck with that! It's harsh, but I say for now, let them fight for that right, not have it as a given. It'll be unjust for some, sure. But we'd better have an improved justice system before we go down that road.@import url(http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Forums/CuteSoft_Client/CuteEditor/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);

Posted:  12/24/2013 7:29 AM #40079
Kull

Horselips, I know more than a few people who been convicted of felonies and never served time or where denied any citizenship privileges. Admitedly they were white collar crimes they were convicted of and they had to pay compensation.They also had to be drug tested and report to their parole officers on a regular basis.Yes, they were class 5 felons but hardly a menace to anyone but themselves for their crimes.They have since straightened themselves out and were never the dangerous criminals that felons are synonymous with.Not every felon is a dangerous person. I am saying it's rather an individual decision. Here in New York State if you're caught with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds you can be convicted of a felony for possession.Do you also consider that a person that gets arrested and convicted of this is a felon who shouldn't ever be allowed to possess a firearm? I know countless of law abiding citizens that have these magazines legally before the stupid "safe act" was passed and are now considered "criminals" !! The law is unconstitutional but by all means it's still the law and is being enforced.

Posted:  12/24/2013 12:32 PM #40092
horselips

The non-violent, white collar felons you mention probably aren't a violent menace to society, and for them there is a process of restoration. It takes some time and money, but that's life. I can't even imagine what it's like living in New York. The spectacle of mentally ill legislators trying to solve the problem of mentally ill homicidal maniacs. It's insane.

Posted:  12/24/2013 1:16 PM #40094
balazsio

Last Post: 12/24/2013
Horselips! I was reading your earlier post. A bit ignorant if I may say so. Someone doing something stupid and getting convicted is not a character flaw.  I am sure  you have never done any wrong in your life. But just because you did not get caught, it would be still against the law. Let me give you an example so you could better understand.
 I have a friend who came here from a different country. Never been in trouble in his life. He did something dumb over here, and got two felonies. It was a non-violent white collar crime. Without getting into lengthy details, the crime was comparable of writing out a bad check. The reason he got the felonies is because the amount was over $100. He spent two weeks in jail waiting for his trial. He did not have to pay any fine, nor was he put on probation. This was 16 years ago. Since that he did not have any issues with the law. Not even a parking or speeding ticket.He has a family, kids and owns his won business.
Now your idea would be to brand him for the rest of his life. Somehow he would not have the right to protect his family. Which would be ok, if you could guarantee that no hard core criminals have guns either. Unfortunately you can't do that, can you? But just as I said earlier, you might have committed a crime before.Who knows? Just because you did not get caught , you act high and mighty. Do not get me wrong. I am not advocating to arm drug dealers, rapists, child molesters or murderers. But to put somebody in the same category with those people is wrong. There used to be a fairly good system. Your record used would get clean after a certain amount of time if you committed a non-violent white collar crime. They need to look at people individually. Not a one size fits all solution. Anyway, that is all I have to say! Have a nice day and Merry Christmas!

Posted:  12/24/2013 3:13 PM #40095
Kull

Horselips, our  legislators aren't mentally ill, our Governor Cuomo is. The legislators are corrupt puppets of the Democrat party which dominates this state from time immemorial. Cuomo is like Il Duce, the Godfather just like his Dad Mario was.Most of  New York State is rural blue collar conservative. Our problem is New York Wacko City. They outnumber the whole state with their huge population. The city is filled with Liberal low information pus bags who rely on government money, subsidizes and jobs. So much so that the rest of the state gets tarred and feathered with the Liberal legislators bills and agendas.We have to literally pay for all the freeloading dirtballs that live there. Every penny of our property taxes go to pay Medicare, not to mention all the welfare programs as well as a laundry list of freebies.It's the entitlement enclave of asses that are holding the whole state hostage.Hopefully the "safe act" will get struck down in court as it should be because it's in direct violation of the Constitution. But then again, the court is stacked with Liberal **** judges who make their own law..Say a prayer for your brothers in arms here for as we go, the whole country may go...

Posted:  12/25/2013 11:48 AM #40100
horselips

Merry Christmas Kull! May God bless you and yours!

Posted:  12/25/2013 12:06 PM #40101
horselips

Merry Christmas balazsio! Please re-read my earlier posts. I was not advocating anything, just reporting on the theory and ideology that attends a felony conviction. Yes, I have indeed done some wrong things in my life, fortunately for me I have never been caught, but we agree they were still against the law. I guess that makes me borderline normal. But just doing something dumb, or on a whim or a bet, or out of passion or anger, is what misdemeanors are for. In this I include a teenager drinking a beer at a party, drag racing on a deserted strip of roadway, or tee-peeing the house of your ex girlfriend, or the house of the boy who took her away from you. Felonies, like misdemeanors, are categorized according to degree (again, I'm just reporting, not advocating). Not every felon does hard time wearing leg irons and breaking rocks. Political felons go to country clubs where they swim, golf, play tennis, and watch first-run movies over steak dinners. All of that aside, a felony is a felony because of the greater damage done to the victim, or the effect of lese majeste to the law and society in general, or (again, just reporting) the perception a certain offense portends for the future. Your friend with the 2 felonies 16 years ago is apparently fully rehabilitated (taking your word for it)and is now a working, tax-paying, pillar of his community. He should apply for full restitution of his civil rights. I cannot see why any judge would deny him. I'm sure, LOL, it has been much less than 16 years since my last, and as yet, undiscovered transgression.

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums