Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  6/24/2012 2:43 PM #32295
futball900

Last Post: 6/24/2012
Subject: remington 870 express problem
Hello, 

Hello

My question was I took apart my shotgun with the trigger assembly  and when I put the assembly back in it fit fine, but when I went to function check it (already cocked) I could cycle the fore end smoothly as normal. I then squeezed the trigger so It could fire dry, with the gun uncocked I went to cycle the fore end and it took quite a considerable amount of pressure to bring it back and if i stopped shucking it halfway it would spring forward to the closed bolt position. I dont know why it doesnt cycle smooth when the gun is uncocked and seems like it always wants to spring back forward. Did you have any advice on what it could be? It seems like when its uncocked and the hammer on the trigger assemply isnt in the locked back position it is pushing the bolt forward. It used to cycle smoothly no matter if it was cocked or not, any input would be helpful

chris

Posted:  6/24/2012 4:54 PM #32296
horselips

Last Post: 9/30/2014
You're not going to like this, but when I disassemble and reassemble a weapon and it doesn't work right, I repeat the process, carefully following the directions exactly to the letter. Then, when I know for a fact I did it right and it still doesn't work, I bring it to my gunsmith, where 15 minutes and $50 later he hands it back to me in perfect working order. I just went through this ordeal with my 1911 clone. Good luck.  

Posted:  7/29/2012 1:22 PM #33011
datatribe

Last Post: 7/30/2012

I concur with horselips.  If you are having a problem with proper operation and aren't sure why, rather than cause damage, just take it to a smith.

The problem with reassembly, as I have experienced myself, is that many guns, due to spring pressure on certain moving parts, require temporary detention of said parts for proper reassembly.  The AR-15 is a good example of this where the buffer detention pin is concerned.  If you do it in the incorrect way or order, you can create a situation where the gun physically goes together fine, but the alignment of internal parts is incorrect.  

My advice, for your next lesson in home-gun smithing, is to see if you can find a good video online or for purchase that shows you the detailed and proper disassembly, cleaning and reassembly.   This is a non-paid endorsement for the On Target video series.  They do a good job showing you all the parts and steps.  There are a number of youtube videos that cover various guns as well and I imagine a popular model like your 870 probably has received some attention in this area.

Best of luck with your firearm.  Don't be ashamed of spending some cash on good bench time with a pro, especially if they're nice enough to show you what you may have done wrong.

datatribe 

Posted:  10/8/2012 9:20 PM #34508
rusty shackleford

Last Post: 12/31/2013
I had a similar issue (failure to read instructions) with my dad's lefty 870, when we got ours I had to put his together for him and didnt realise that the bolt has to be half cocked when inserting the barrel, and to make a long story short after 3 shots he went to chamber a round and the retaining nut came off and the barrel fell off in the middle of the field (derp!). then when I attempted to put it back together I dropped the bolt in without the carrier (neither of us knew anything about remington 870's at this point) which only made matters worse, luckily we convinced the store that we bought it from that it was a factory defect (the retaining bolt did actually break in the middle of the threads) so they replaced it for us. long story short, ALWAYS read your instructions, will save you alot of time, hassle, and possibly being yelled at by your dad(which is the worst of all).
ssssha shaw pocket sand!

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic  

CheaperThanDirtForums